Author Topic: Mac user  (Read 4836 times)

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
Mac user
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
Hi all.

I'm a (proud) Mac user, my house is Windows-free, even if I'm a sysadmin and work a lot with Windows and virtualization.

For this reason I'm using the Benbox software in a Windows virtual machine, but I'm trying to get rid of the VM, and move everything to Mac OSX.

I've a Banggood Laser, and I'm switching the firmware of my Arduino Nano to LX-Nano.328p.20150626, for the BenBox, that is working, to the grbl_v0_8c (testing the grbl_v0_9j_atmega328p_16mhz_115200.hex, but I've the problem that the laser is always on at the boot).

I'm switching between the two firmware because I can use the Benbox with success and satisfaction, the precision and controls are very good, but...
 - Cons:
   - I've to use Windows
   - It's slow
   - I've a problem with the size of the engrave. Even if I can do a 300x400mm, the size of an image loaded is small, and if I try to enlarge inside of the Benbox software, after a size of about 15 cm the program crash. Maybe it's a problem of a VM using 2 cores and 2,5 GB, but that is.

So, I'm trying the GRBL code, but...
 - Cons:
    - Not precise, not even closer to the Benbox
    - The software is not as good for the setup of the engraving, testing, change size, ecc.

So...

Here's the questions:

1 - Any info about a Benbox-like software for Mac?
2 - Anything I can do to resolve the problem of the crash when I resize the image?
3 - A better software for GCode? Something like BenBox or even better, RDWorks Thunder Laser (http://www.thunderlaser.com/down) ?

Attached a couple of test

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Mac user
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »
A few comments:

Your results so far look great.

The "master" Grbl does not currently support lasers very well, there are several "branches" that do and you can get the same resolution, speed and quality as Benbox.

To fix the laser always on problem, move the jumper under the Nano to the 0.9 setting.

I think the crash issue on re-size image is due to VM as no problem on Windows PC.

I'm sorry I can't help much on the Mac software.

-Zax.

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
Thanks Zax.

If you know a good version of GBRL for engraving that have similar features and results of Benbox let me know.

I have a slightly different version of the arduino, see attachment, and no 0.8 - 0.9 pin.

Grr... I don't want a PC again!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
The newer version of the board is only $21 at banggood, not sure what the Euro rate is but should still be very cheap.

J-Tech Grbl seems to work well, but I wish the source was posted rather than just hex. It is 0.9g so wouldn't work unless you mod the board as the spindle pin was swapped on 0.9 to one that has PWM ability.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
Do these boards have an identifying number so one can tell which is which????  Benbox seem pretty vague to me on most things.  What we need is a "handbook" on both    A  GRBL section and a standard Benbox section....  Make it a sticky.  I think we might get more people on here looking for starter info than that.... but when GRBL pops up they fade!
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:38:54 AM »
The newer version of the board is only $21 at banggood, not sure what the Euro rate is but should still be very cheap.

J-Tech Grbl seems to work well, but I wish the source was posted rather than just hex. It is 0.9g so wouldn't work unless you mod the board as the spindle pin was swapped on 0.9 to one that has PWM ability.

Yes, I know. If I'll end to use GRBL I'll buy the newer version. With Benbox it's useless.

Do these boards have an identifying number so one can tell which is which????  Benbox seem pretty vague to me on most things.  What we need is a "handbook" on both    A  GRBL section and a standard Benbox section....  Make it a sticky.  I think we might get more people on here looking for starter info than that.... but when GRBL pops up they fade!

Probably, but they are very different. In my previous post you can see the version I have, that support only 0.8, here the picture of the new one, with the 0.8 -0.9 switch.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:39:33 AM »
Thanks but which is the switch (one of the blue ones) or  are you referring to the  jumper at the extreme right of the picture....??
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

MassimilianoMarradi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:23:41 AM »
Thanks but which is the switch (one of the blue ones) or  are you referring to the  jumper at the extreme right of the picture....??

As in a film "None of above".
The switch is under the chip with the USB, between the black slot in the picture.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
Got it!  Thanks Mass..

I only had my laser mechanics with Eleks board in the last couple of weeks and fitted it all toether so I will have a look..see what board I have.....The laser head  is somewhere between the UK and Singapore  with DHL....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
>A  GRBL section and a standard Benbox section

@Ross we do have a "Grbl Controller" section...in the Software board. That's where all the Grbl related info should go.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.4a.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
No matter what "board" you have, they all use an Arduino clone (most use a Nano) so can be flashed with Benbox (which is a modified Grbl), the official Grbl or one of it's branches.