Author Topic: Automatic line recognition with .dxf files (bencutlaser, catia) (RESOLVED)  (Read 1061 times)

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
Hi,

first thank you for the great software and tutorials on bencutlaser. So far i like it. I'm using a Eleksmaker laser A3 Pro 5500mW with upgraded frame (~100x80cm²), bencutlaser 3.1 and catia.

Now I use Catia V5 to create my cutting shape. There I create a drawing and export it as .dxf files. I then import the dxf into bencutlaser (3.1). Bencutlaser recognizes all the lines correctly, but is not able to make a polyline of the separate lines and circles, see image attached. Many elements have a wrong orientation.
--> Now I have to reverse lines and arcs as well as reorder them manually. This can take a lot of time in more complex projects.

Is there any way to automatically recognize the order of elements and set the correct orientation for them?
Otherwise: anyone knows how to make my .dxf file save polylines instead of separate elements? In Catia all the lines are connected, tangent and make one fine line. I did not find any option to export polylines into .dxf other than above.

Thanks everyone and happy cutting!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:23:18 AM by Administrator »
Gear: Eleksmaker Laser A3 Pro 5500mW, air pump, 100cmx80cm frame, Bencutlaser 3.1., boxed with air filtration, honeycomb bed, OD5+ safety window.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Automatic line recognition with .dxf files (bencutlaser, catia)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
T2Laser has a DXF Optimizer which does that (and a lot more), it will also auto-join to create smooth output. I'm not sure if BCL has anything similar, it probably does.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic line recognition with .dxf files (bencutlaser, catia) (OPEN)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
>Is there any way to automatically recognize the order of elements and set the correct orientation for them?

BCL has a batch feature where you can select all drawing objects and then tell it to set all the objects to the same orientation.

You still have to manually sequence your drawing objects. I don't know you would get software to do this automatically for you since you could have 20 polyline objects defining a target group, followed by 20 more polylines defining another target group, etc. How would software know to auto-sequence the first 20 objects only and not the next 20 objects?

From all of the dxf files users have sent me to look at in the past year, 5% of them were created in the correct sequence order. This means they had to manually re-sequence them once inside BCL.

I think the reason for this is that most users don't create their own dxf files. They download them from other websites and use them as is. BCL can 'fix' them and get them ready for g-code generation but I don't know (yet) how to make BCL figure out what toolpaths the user wants and do it automatically.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
>Bencutlaser recognizes all the lines correctly, but is not able to make a polyline of the separate lines and circles.

CAD programs do that. BCL is not a CAD program.

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
Re: Automatic line recognition with .dxf files (bencutlaser, catia) (CLOSED)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:50:55 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me. I see your point and I tried to solve this form catia. I tried to export blocks (which should get me a complete block like a polyline in the .dxf). Bencutlaser can not recognize these blocks, no matter what settings i use.

BCL reports, of course, this:

BCL Aware Drawing Objects Count:

Arc; count: 0
Circle; count: 0
Ellipse; count: 0
Image; count: 0
LightWeightPolyline; count: 0
Line; count: 0
Text; count: 0
MText; count: 0
Polyline; count: 0
Spline; count: 0

Any Catia expert here? attached my catia settings for dxf export
(it translates to: exportet sheets: all
export mode: semantic
semantics options:
export dimensions as dimensions
export blocks: none, one layer, complete
export number of layers, export layer name)

Also, maybe i musunderstood, but: bencut is not able to reorder those arcs (attached in 2nd picture) to the correct chronological order and orientation? It has to be a polyline?
See, my problem is that I can only export a polyline with tessalation, which generates thousands of code lines. I wasn't able to export a polyline (block) with radiuses.

Any workaround here? Use other formats and convert?

Let me know your thoughts, I want to solve this really badly.
Thanks!
Gear: Eleksmaker Laser A3 Pro 5500mW, air pump, 100cmx80cm frame, Bencutlaser 3.1., boxed with air filtration, honeycomb bed, OD5+ safety window.

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 01:52:23 AM »
attached catia settings

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 05:14:32 AM »
It may help to post the DXF?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
BCL can re-order any drawing objects including Arcs.

BCL can change the direction of Arcs so the laser will burn all of them in the same direction correctly.

Your attachment showing arcs not connected look connected to me. Where are they not connected?

Your Catia export looks like a very old export: year 2000. Solution: do the export since that's all Catia seems to support. Then open the .dxf file in a modern (free) CAD program such QCAD or LibreCAD or NanoCAD and then so a Save As into a more recent dxf format, such as R18 up to R27 or higher. R18 is year 2004 and is the oldest Release format BCL can read. But always save as in the latest Release format your CAD program offers (QCAD, LibreCAD, etc).

Then BCL will be able to open the file. If you still have trouble with the file, please post it here so I can have a look.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:09:25 AM by Administrator »

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »
BCL can re-order any drawing objects including Arcs.
but not automatically in the correct chronological order.
BCL can change the direction of Arcs so the laser will burn all of them in the same direction correctly.
If every arc is clockwise then two connected arcs will not make one continous line like in the pictures above (if one is clockwise, the next one should be ccw, cw, ccw.. and so on).
i need to reorder every so often the orientation of arcs.

Your attachment showing arcs not connected look connected to me. Where are they not connected?
sorry for the confusion: they are spot on, but they are separate elements instead of one polyline which would already solve my problem.

Your Catia export looks like a very old export: year 2000. Solution: do the export since that's all Catia seems to support. Then open the .dxf file in a modern (free) CAD program such QCAD or LibreCAD or NanoCAD and then so a Save As into a more recent dxf format, such as R18 up to R27 or higher. R18 is year 2004 and is the oldest Release format BCL can read. But always save as in the latest Release format your CAD program offers (QCAD, LibreCAD, etc).
I have R11, R12,R13,R14, 2000, 2004 and 2007.
I will try your workaround with QCAD and/or upgrade catia to a newer release, thanks. I guess its my old release thats causing all the problems.

Then BCL will be able to open the file. If you still have trouble with the file, please post it here so I can have a look.
Find attached two samples which shows the orientation problem quite good. I used dxf 2007: one without block export (working in bcl) one with full block export (not recognized).

Thanks for your time and help!

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »
Drawing Block Full dxf file has Insert objects which are not supported by BCL.

See attachments.

Note Setup tab to check for valid drawing objects: this file has 0 supported drawing objects. I'm not sure if those Arcs are Inserts or not or if the file is corrupted and reporting bad information. In either event, BCL cannot use it.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
>but not automatically in the correct chronological order.

Correct. BCL is not a mind reader. How would BCL know how YOU want the order to be?

The order the drawing objects appear in the toolpath listbox in BCL is the order in which they were drawn in the CAD file. If you downloaded the file from somewhere then you would have no idea what the order is of the drawing objects. CAD programs have short cuts and helper methods to help you draw a certain object, therefore very often objects are drawn out of order.

BCL has no way to know what order you want drawing objects to be in. But BCL gives you the tools to put the drawing objects in any order you desire.

>i need to reorder every so often the orientation of arcs.

Yes, that is correct.

>sorry for the confusion: they are spot on, but they are separate elements instead of one polyline which would already solve my problem.

Yes, that is correct. Polylines are the best drawing object choice if possible.

>Find attached two samples

One of the files is completely unusable in BCL. How were you able to load it in and use it? What version of BCL are you using?

Have you seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wuEEdUmn7A&t=0s&index=3&list=PL1ApZWLk0_MpBVWumCXkfenyruySqjw89

Using your _none_ dxf file I was not able to use the re-sequencing tools inside BCL (as shown in the video) to quickly re-sequence these drawing objects. I will dig deeper into this and try to determine if this is a BCL problem or a corrupt dxf file. I'll post my findings here as soon as I find out why.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:07:55 AM by Administrator »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
Does this work any better?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:11:17 PM by Zax »

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »
Works perfectly in BCL.

Nice conversion @Zax.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
Regarding your _none_ dxf file. Paul did a deep dive on this file and here is his analysis:

It’s likely this specific DXF file.

If you load it in and then select each line in the list box you’ll see duplicates of the lines on the canvas. For example, the top line is both Line0046 and Line0031.

So I think the reordering (inside BCL) is working but when you click on the line it’s sometimes going to the other copy of the lines than the one you reordered.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
BCL 3.1h now has in Setup, a DXF file check for duplicate drawing objects. See attachment. This check was run on your dxf file and you can see it's got 14 duplicate drawing objects. The file is basically corrupted.

Paul did the coding for this check and I added it to the Setup interface.