Author Topic: Leaving engraver by itself.  (Read 643 times)

Harryz

• View Profile
Leaving engraver by itself.
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
I've finally got everything running on my A3 2.5 watt laser with Mana SE running and love it. I see where some projects will take time to run and am wondering what do you do while it's engraving. Do you stay here every minute while it's engraving, pop in and out or leave it alone till it's done?
A3 2.5watt laser
Monoprice Select Plus W/3.5 watt laser
Creality CR 10 3D printer
Cancer Survivor
SoFar So Good

mattm58

• View Profile
Re: Leaving engraver by itself.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
All of the above.  I run mine in the garage and I'm typically doing something else in the garage while it's burning.  If I'm doing small stuff with 5 minute or so burns I'll typically just stay there at the laptop.  If it's longer I'm sometimes in and out of the house.  I'd say the majority of time I'm in the garage with it, but not necessarily by it.

I've only had one time where the laser would have caused a problem.  It was engraving some alder and was maybe 1/3 through the design.  I went in the house, got a phone call, and didn't go back out for 20 or so minutes.  For some reason still unknown to me, the laser was stopped where it was and on full power.  It had burned completely through the 3/4" alder, the 1/2" plywood waste board, and about half way through the 3/4" MDF that was on the table top.  Stopped it immediately.  Using T2 I could jog both axis fine, so the carriage wasn't bound up in any way.  Laptop was running fine, not locked up, so I have no idea why it stopped moving.  Due to that I'm planning to pick up a sheet of aluminum or something the laser won't go through to put under my waste board just in case.
A3 2.5w with longer rails making it ~85cm x 40cm

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »
I have a Wi-Fi camera I purchased from China for $28. I can watch the laser, the CNC mill or the 3D printer all at one go. It is trainable from my cell phone or tablet so I can look almost 360 degrees around the shop and up and down. Couldn't train the dog to bark if something went wrong so this is better..
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
Couldn't train the dog to bark if something went wrong so this is better..

I'm imagining your dog wearing some laser "doggles" watching the machine for you...  ;D

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:39:19 PM »
Be interesting reading some of the insurance claims if the house burned down!  (and no doubt they will have heard it all before!!)

(I am reminded of a high speed teleprinter used in one of our offices that had the paper jammed.............the print head kept moving from side to side at speed.....friction caused the paper to burst into flame and the office was wiped out.......(the staff had left for the night  and left the machine to itself).............  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:45:29 PM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT