Author Topic: Z axis  (Read 369 times)

Sheepdog

• View Profile
Z axis
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »
Have been reading the topic started by MarcusJ concerning the Banggood Z axis trying to figure out what is wrong with mine. It acts like it hangs up sometimes when it is either going up or down. Have taken apart to see if there was anything physical causing this problem but did not locate anything. Have tried adjusting the bolts, both mounting and axis, to see if there was a binding problem but still nothing. The only thing I can figure out is that maybe I don't have GRBL set up right for this axis. Both X and Y work find. Maybe I'm not calculating the steps or something right because they are metric. Can anyone tell me what their Z settings are on their units or if they have had the same problem and how they remedied it. Any help would be appreciated so that I can get my mini cnc working. My X and Y axis are double start SAE rods. Thanks to all.
S Ga.USA, Banggood A3 2.5w engraver

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Z axis
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
See if your laser machine can process the attached g-code file. Use any software that can open a file and then send the contents to your laser machine. Universal Gcode Sender, T2, BCL and some others will work fine for this test.

This g-code burns a small square in 4 passes with a drop down in the z axis with each pass (2nd, 3rd and 4th passes).

You should be able to see and/or feel the z axis head dropping upon each pass. If it does, then your setup is OK otherwise something is not correct.

I generated this g-code using BenCutLaser (BCL) and developed the z g-code using a converted 3D printer z axis head I turned into a laser machine, so I know it works fine. If your z head is setup correctly it will burn OK for you on your laser machine.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
I would reduce the acceleration values, set steps to 400 per mm (since Eleks seem to like that number) and see if it will run smooth. If so you can calibrate the axis and adjust the steps per mm.

Sheepdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Thanks Ralph. will give this a try and see where we go. Thanks Zax. Think i have it set at 800 based on what was posted on Banggood.  Will change and give it a shot. Thanks to both of you.
S Ga.USA, Banggood A3 2.5w engraver

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
800 would be even slower, so that should be fine. You can always calibrate it later if needed.

John Henriksen

• View Profile
    • RC Model
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
I applied 2 drops of oil into the gear, and now it works smoothly  :)
John

EleksMaker® EL01-2500 445nm 2500mW Blue Laser

Software T2Laser