Author Topic: Puzzle pencils  (Read 582 times)

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
Puzzle pencils
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »
I call these "puzzle pencils"... Made for a special little girl name Luna starting school for the first time.

It's particularly useful how the 2W laser has quite a wide depth of field so that these triangular pencils were able to be engraved from the tip of the triangle to a bit below mid-way before it started losing too much focus to burn. (-; I had to tape each pencil with transfer tape to prevent too much charring as the painted surface of the color pencils is actually a tad flammable.

I initially tried engraving the puzzle onto a single flat face of the 3 sided pencil, but it made the puzzle less fun to play with since only one face of the pencil was visible when it was flat on a table, so I ended up engraving the top two sides so there was more surface area visible.

Also a little pic of the "gig" I rigged up to position the triangular pencil for its "flat face" up to engrave the name on each pencil.

- Ian

(2W TTL Laser on A3 L7 Eleksmaker)

mauriceman

• View Profile
Re: Puzzle pencils
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
What a wonderful idea.  I make special "wooden nickels" for my 2 grand children. Going to have to try the pencil personalization too.
Retired Industrial Electrician, PLC
500mmX500mm Openbuilds frame
1.6w, 2w, 2.5w laser heads

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:06:40 AM »
very nice, one lucky kid!
I tried doing the same sort of thing for my kids as all their pens and pencils need to have their names on them...
I used this;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2234736
worked out ok but the smell of burning paint was too much so I did not do them all..
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
I used this;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2234736
worked out ok but the smell of burning paint was too much so I did not do them all..
=)

Yes, the paint has a strong burning rubber whiff on the pencils. Strange.

I made a multiple pencil holder similar to the 3D printed one but I just cut it out of cardboard. (-;

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »
cardboard is probably safer to laser then pla plastic!!
next time I will follow your idea and also use cardboard!
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps