Author Topic: Fusion360 Workflow  (Read 402 times)

archangel

• View Profile
Fusion360 Workflow
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:31:28 AM »
Hey all

Just getting started with the whole cutting/engraving project and starting with various bits of software. From playing with the demo, I will definitely be getting T2Laser to run the machine, and due to the fact its free to use for personal use, I am learning Fusion360 for the design side.

I am mainly using the cutter to create custom cut foam for flight cases, so need to create digital versions of an object, and then cut out the correct size in the foam for a tight fit.

I have just started, and did my first cut going Fusion360->PDFtoDXF->T2Laser, and somewhere in the process, the overall size is greatly increased!

Has anyone done this before? Fusion360 seems to have some CAM capability to generate the G-Code, but I'm not even sure where to start on ensuring this is the correct code for our low power lasers.

Any help will be gratefully received!   

Thanks in advance

Lee
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:26:45 AM by Administrator »

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fusion360 Workflow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
You can use any CAD software you want -- but -- Fusion 360 is massive over kill. It's like someone who wants to learn to fly and starts off using a B-747 jumbo jet. It will work, but it's a very hard way to do it.

Let T2 generate your g-code because that's what it's designed to do. Do not need Fusion 360 to generate your g-code.

I'd suggest using one of the free CAD programs that can save to DXF directly. QCAD, LibreCAD, NanoCAD and others, are out there and they are free to use.

So, in the end, your best route to go would be to use a free CAD program to generate your DXF file and then load it into T2 to generate the g-code and send it to your laser machine. Simple, easy solution. You don't need to learn to fly a B-747.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:34:05 AM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/44x9lota2l3ub4t/SetupBenCutLaser3.1h.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
I agree with everything posted but would also not use the PDF import although it works you get better results with DXF.

archangel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:23:16 AM »
Thanks both

Will have a look at the alternatives mentioned. I had a quick play with some other CAD programs, but found Fusion 360 the easiest to get to grips with for me!