Author Topic: Solder free capacitor to board  (Read 579 times)

Harryz

• View Profile
Solder free capacitor to board
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:05:13 PM »
My previous post mentioned the problem with laser power so I have a question. I have an oringinal board that came  with the 3.5 watt laser that arrived with a capacitor that had detached. BangGood sent me a replacement at no charge. If my problem might be the board that goes between the laser and ManaSE board I'm wondering if I can repair it. The capacitor has 2 narrow metal strips on the bottom that attaches flat to 2 narrow strips on the board. It can't be soldered by me but do you think I could put a little super glue on the ends of the strips  to hold it down against the board to make contact?  Remember, there are no silly questions. That's what I've been told.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:07:08 PM by Harryz »
A3 2.5watt laser
Monoprice Select Plus W/3.5 watt laser
Creality CR 10 3D printer
Cancer Survivor
SoFar So Good

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Solder free capacitor to board
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:05:04 PM »
No to the glue. I am in the US and can do the soldering if you think it is worthwhile. Send me a message and we can exchange addresses.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Re: Solder free capacitor to board
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
You use the superglue to fasten the body of the cap to the board and then solder the contacts with a low-watt (10 or so) soldering pencil using a very little bit of resin solder that you cut off and place on the cap contacts. Better if you could arrange to put a flattened piece of solder (and a little bit of soldering paste) between the board and the contacts then superglue the body to the board. The a quick touch of the soldering pencil should melt the solder. Remember little is the byword.

Or, since you have a volunteer, mail it off!

Your mileage may vary.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines