Author Topic: First real test  (Read 4228 times)

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
Re: First real test
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
The low stickiness of the the low tack tape is designed so you can transfer cut vinyl decals from one surface to another. And it comes in extremely wide rolls that work well for large panels (A3+ etc) if you're doing large engravings or cuts.

I stick the stuff on, and then roll over it with a rubber roller (typically used by printmakers) to remove the wrinkles and ensure a even consistent surface to engrave/cut. Works really well, and is easy to remove.

If you want to experiment on a budget, try using some white or green painter's masking tape on your plywood. With painter's tape, you just have to be very careful not to overlap (so that the tape is double in height), or leave gaps - that way you'll get a consistent surface to prevent charring. Some folk on the forum feel that blue tape works less well. I haven't tried.

I've never had transfer tape or painter's tape catch on fire, compared to wood surfaces (or worse - painted wood surfaces.) But I have always had air assist, and aim not to overburn a surface with too slow a feed rate.

Best,

- Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:55:51 PM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »
I have had zero success with blue painters tape. Good results with brown.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 09:17:11 PM »
Ok, I was so curious that I found a can of compressed air and was blowing it constantly while cutting.
Here is the comparison:

So air assist is indeed helping with burnt edges but it does not affect the cutting abilities at all.... same number of passes - same results but less burnt.

Hey Oscyp.  What is your wood sitting on? if it is sitting on a flat surface, try raising it so only air is under the cut.  It helps the finish the cut by letting smoke escape.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

oscyp

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 03:40:35 AM »
Hello guys,

@ianchia I'll try the trick with a painter tape today, I think I had one that is 5cm wide - it will be enough for testing.

@nottingham82 I have self-made honeycomb bed out of 9x19mm shells :D - works very well. Anyway I need to work on air assist. Unfortunately, I have no 3d printer to make some useful parts for it...

oscyp

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 05:35:39 AM »

Ok I did a test with a paper tape.

This is the result before taking the tape off:

And after taking the tape off:

The last square just felt off. The rest - did not.
After using some force - the middle 2 squares also came out.
The very first one did not - even with quite a force...

So the tape is helping a little :)

PS this time the air assist was my hair-dryer :D

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »
I think the primary purpose of the tape is to help keep the soot off the surface of the uncut wood. I'm assuming that 100/15 is 15 passes at a speed of 100mm/min. What power laser do you have? What is the approximate distance from lense to work?

oscyp

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 10:17:23 AM »
yes 100/15 means speed 100 and 15 passes.
Laser Power is 2500mW
Distance from lens ca. 11cm

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
We have similar setups but you seem to have a wider kerf and more char. Do you notice any difference between the X & y cuts? Particularity and angle on two sides.

oscyp

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2018, 07:45:31 AM »
Yes I notice something like this on some engravings.
Unfortunately I have to focus the laser beam manually all the time. (I mean when changing the material).

What does it mean?

I'll do some tests later on today to show you.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
An angle that is cone shaped on all sides is due to the focus beam. Wider on either X or Y is due to the rectangular bean pattern. Slanted in the same direction for both X or both Y is the laser module is not vertical.  Just my observations!!!