Author Topic: windows only ? (Solved)  (Read 1514 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
windows only ? (Solved)
« on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
Is the T2 programme for Windows only ?
I would like to use Linux Ubuntu
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:42:13 AM by donwatson »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: windows only ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »
T2 is Windows based but some users have reported success (and instructions) for running under Linux. I am 99.9% Linux and have been using a home-brew application for about 18 months. Willing to share with the understanding that I have been the only user and I might be somewhat forgiving with its faults.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 03:57:47 PM »
It runs on Windows, Mac (using VM) and Linux (using some black magic that is way beyond my understanding).

There's an excellent post with step by step instructions here: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2353.msg33730.html#msg33730

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.
I was really beginning to feel the pressure there.
I have spent a fruitless afternoon/evening trying to get T2 running on 2 different machines.
I paid for and was sent a key but I did it on my Linux machine.
When I go to the Windows machine I get a different key ?? so I was wondering what was the best way to resolve the problem.
I have set up a VM in Linux and I absolutely hate it, I would rather run Gcode from the terminal in Linux and hope for the best.
I will have a look at your suggestions and get back to you.

Don W
PS Thanks for the programme Zax it was a very kind offer from you for which I thank you. @galiant571 I will take you up on your offer if I can. I much prefer Linux and most of today was spent getting the VirtualBox set up and running with WIN 7.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
Happy to share. Attached is the binary. I have no problem releasing the source but I have no/zero/nil interest in becoming involved in any end user support activity. Do not mind fixing bugs or adding features that improve my use. Zac & Ralph not I am.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 03:27:30 AM »
Thanks Zac & Ralph not,
 I welcome your input  ;D ;D
I will set up a new dual boot of Peppermint 8 today and try the fix that Zax quotes here
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,2353.msg33730.html#msg33730
Hopefully it will work but I will still have a look at the download from ggaliant571

take care
Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
Thanks again for your help chaps.
I have a Samsung tablet set up with Windows 7 and connected to a 17" monitor (the old eyes are playing up).
I have connected/disconnected a few times now and it seems stable.
I will download and try the free version of T2 and see what I can break.
I will be back

Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:11:05 AM »
There is a significant lag in carrying out instructions on the Notebook. I don't think the machine powerful enough to run T2 so I will abandon that idea. At the moment I am not confident enough to try installing on a Linux platform so I will stay with Windows.
I will set up a Windows 10 laptop to run T2 in its trial version and see how it performs.
I will be back
Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
I'm Back.
I have a Win 10 laptop setup and running the trial version of T2.
It seems ok but I get a bit annoyed with the 30 minute timeout.
Can you let me know how to get a full version up and running ??
Thanks again

Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
I'm back  :D :D
I have just entered the key and removed the restrictions on T2 laser  :D
I am a happy bunny  :D
thanks again Zax for your help and kindness
take care
Don W
PS Thanks to all you other users for your kind input, this a great forum.

donwatson

• View Profile
Re: windows only ? (Solved)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »
I must make a public apology here as I have upset Ralph with the post I made in reply to ggaliant571 on the 10th March.
ggaliant571 had posted the binary for a Linux setup and said he could help me with getting it running if I needed. He explained this would only be a minor help as he didn't want involved in updates etc. and he ended by saying I could use it as seen as he had little skills in programming, and ended by saying "Zax and Ralph not I am".
I took this in the light hearted way it was sent and when I replied
"Thanks Zac & Ralph not,
 I welcome your input  ;D ;D"
Ralph has objected to my words so I whole heartedly apologise to Ralph and anyone else who may be offended.
Goodbye all and take care
Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »
I don't mind programming and building hardware but have zero skills or interest in user support. I admire the patience and diligence exhibited by Zac & Ralph. They both promote and support their products in a highly ethical and professional manner.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »
Hi ggallant571,
I will have a look at the binary you posted on March 10. I am keen to set up in Linux and I may get some time later this morning.
I intend setting up a dual boot with the latest Linux Peppermint (Peppermint 8) as the old OS is taking some time to load at boot time etc.
A fresh install should see everything working smoothly. I will let you know how I get on as soon as.

take care
Don W
PS I have T2 running on Windows 10 and it is ok when doing vector outlines, although it does seem to create a lot of black dust.
I am having problems engraving but hopefully I will get them sorted out with help from this community  ; :)

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:12:25 AM »
Hi ggallant571,
I have finally got around to having a look at the binary you posted on March 10th.
I have no idea of what to do ?? the only dcim files Ihave met are on an SD card when I load pictures to my computer.
I hate to be a nuisance but could you tell me what I am doing wrong ??
or maybe should I look at the other suggestion that was put up and seems to run (I would need to check it first as I have misunderstood before).
Can you give me an idea of how you are working please ??

take care
Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
First. Does it do anything in your environment?

I do cutting, etching and g-code via a single host application. The cut images must be svg and the images either png or jpg at 254dpi. The g-code is just a pass thru.

1. Select the USB port associated with  you fixture.
2  Select the etching file from the the middle row in the mode box and click the  etch box.
3. Specify type speeds and power etching options frame.
4. Hit run.

This is definitely a feature poor application that has had one user and zero documentation. BTW - I have no background in  art, CAM, or lasers and only did this project because the was none available for Linux. You can contact me via forum message system for specific help that might be useless to the rest of benboxlaser community.