Author Topic: 5500mw laser not receiving pwm signal?  (Read 696 times)

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
5500mw laser not receiving pwm signal?
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:31:45 AM »
Hello everyone,

thanks for the support so far, this forum is top notch.

I'm not sure this is the right forum, maybe I should jump ahead to eleksmaker forum. But since many users here use the A3 I hope for some clearence.

I extended all of the cables for my bigger custom frame. I made my own custom cable for the laser module and made both plugs the same orientation. The one sitting on the laser module (5500mw) is red, black, yellow while the same orientation of the plug on the mana board should be yellow, black, red . Can someone confirm this?

The first time i had switched the yellow and red cable, because who the he** would change the order of the cables? I turned it on for a couple of seconds and a blue led on the mana board flashed. The fan of the laser was dead. I found out this was due to wrong wiring.

Fixed it. Tried again. Fan is working, laser module shows blue led, low power and full power buttons on the laser board are both working perfectly.
But when using Software the laser is not working. Tried Bencutlaser and T2laser.
I measured all the cables plus the contacts behind the boards (backside). Everything is in place and connected. It seems the laser module is not receiving any pwm signal?! What else can I check?
Did i ruin the lasermodule? is it the manaboard?
Also the cable diameter is 0.22mm² which is imho smaller than before. Could this be the problem?

Anyone knows where I can quickly reorder the correct cable? I didn't even find a source for the correct cable in small sizes. Very frustrating.

Attached my laser module picture

Thank you all!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:38:53 AM by Schwabstraße »
Gear: Eleksmaker Laser A3 Pro 5500mW, air pump, 100cmx80cm frame, Bencutlaser 3.1., boxed with air filtration, honeycomb bed, OD5+ safety window.

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
Re: 5500mw laser not receiving pwm signal?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:56:22 AM »
Is this the correct wiring?
Gear: Eleksmaker Laser A3 Pro 5500mW, air pump, 100cmx80cm frame, Bencutlaser 3.1., boxed with air filtration, honeycomb bed, OD5+ safety window.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
I think the S-pin (which is the TTL signal) or green wire in your picture needs to go to the TTL + (end pin) and you may also need to jumper the TTL- to the GND (yellow wire in the picture).

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you zax for the info, I'm not sure how this will help, is this some kind of work around? It should however function with the 3 pins, right?
I have received the original eleksmaker cable to not mess any further. Unfortunately it had no effect.
I remembered when pluggin in my selfmade cable the connecton on the Mana SE bent ~45° (!), i gently pushed it back and now I fear i damaged the connector / connection to the board.

What can I measure or investigate to locate the problem? Anything I can read on the software?
I found that out that two of the three pins have a short. I can measure the resistance if this helps?

Red to yellow  497 Ohm
Red to Black 1.5 Ohm
All the pins from Mana SE to laser module are conducting

Attached screenshot and pictures of the unit with wiring. I appreciate any help!

Summary:
5500mW laser module with pwm (3 pins)
Mana SE
Stepper motors ok
laser module connected, fan on, PWM led "blue"
weak laser turns on by hand (button 1)
full laser turns on by hand (button 2)
Connection through BCL ok
fimware 1.1e GBRL
stock settings
Unplugged everything, turned on/off, no effect.
No "laser 1s on full power when connecting" (previously this happend every time)
connector on Mana SE bent

If I missed any information let me know.

PPS: Can i use the TTL connection instead (no regulation of laser intensity)?

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »
I think the S-pin (which is the TTL signal) or green wire in your picture needs to go to the TTL + (end pin) and you may also need to jumper the TTL- to the GND (yellow wire in the picture).

Hi Zax,

i tried your settings as described, see on the picture). Low laser button works fine (pwm led blue; "+" led is flashing). When using the full beam button, TTL led is on (green light) - this is new.
This way the laser won't burn manually nor via software.

If I connect "TTL+" and "PWM (S)"; "TTL-" and "-" the full beam button works, but not through software.
Help  :-[
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:11:19 AM by Schwabstraße »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
You need to have the laser grounds connected, so - to - and then change the switch to make sure it is in TTL mode.

Schwabstraße

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:27 AM »
Hi Zax,

it worked!  ;D thank you so much! Now I have to rewire the whole mess.

Does this mean i fried something on the laserboard regarding the pwm signal? Any way I can restore the pwm module?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean "PWM", perhaps the MOSFET output to the "laser" connector?

Since you have a TTL laser you won't be using that. The TTL is a PWM signal.