Kit Assembly > Assembly Help

How hot do stepper motors get?

(1/2) > >>

SteveK:
On my rotary machine I have two motors on the y axis, the axis I use to rotate the work piece. The x axis, which drives the ball screw to move the laser back and forth has one motor. The two rotational motors get warm but the x axis motor gets too hot to touch. Is this normal and/or acceptable? If not, I think I have two options, get a beefier stepper motor or invest in a 3 axis mana se and put two motors on the ball screw as well. I want to keep two motors for the rotation because eventually I'll be turning some larger work. Any thoughts or suggestions or do I just not need to be concerned?

Steve

ggallant571:
You may want to verify that they have the proper current limiting. On the controller cards are plug in stepper motor driver boards. Typically called A4988 (or something like that I am away). Each has a small adjustment pot. You measure from the case of the pot to ground. I recall the ideal setting for a single motor being around 0.5V and 1.0V for two. You should not rely upon the factory setting as they do not know your motor.

Lacking a multimeter to measure you might be able to slowly turn counter-wise and test until the motor does not turn. Then go a little clock-wise.

There is a write-up on this site plus Google.

Zax:
They shouldn't be too hot to touch, I agree the current is probably too high.

SteveK:
Thanks for the replies, I will check the voltage.

Steve

SteveK:
Okay, according to my meter the pot is set at .49V, is it possible I'm just working the motor too hard? I can actually touch the motor when it's working but I remove it pretty quickly.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version