Author Topic: Problems engraving a lot of small 10mm dice  (Read 1919 times)

squeepo

• View Profile
Problems engraving a lot of small 10mm dice
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:13:12 PM »
Hey guys,

i just received my Elekslaser a few days ago and from the first second i'm using T2 Laser.
I really like it.
But i have a problem now with my main project and don't know how to solve it, maybe you have an idea.

I try to engrave a lot of 10mm x 10mm wooden dice with letters.
I have made a mold where i can place the dice to engrave at least 200 with one run.

I would like to use DXF Files because it saves a lot of time but i have a huge problem to find a solution for the correct positioning.

When you take a look at the attached image, in the bottom row, the A is on the left of the dice and the P is on the right.
So with more distance from the start point i get either to the left or to the right. I can't keep  it in the middle.

My Scale is set to 0.2 i need a file with 278mm x 222mm so i created a file with 1390px x 1110px in illustrator.
When i import the file in T2 Laser the output size is 35269mm x 28141mm.

I just can't get it to the correct output size. When i change the values it's never the same.
Let's say i enter 278mm x 222mm by hand. It's 278.6mm x 222.3mm.
I know it's not a big difference but it seems to have a huge effect on the result.

Can i change something to make it work ? Maybe i forgot something ?
How would you do a project like this ?

Thank you very much!

Cheers, Simon

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Problems engraving a lot of small 10mm dice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »
well your pixels are the right density for your project.  so something must be wrong with your import methodology.  Could you share the file so I can inspect what went wrong with it?  You did make sure to set the resolution to .2 in T2 before importing the image correct?  if you set it after it wont import at the right size.  Obviously every time time you try to change the size you get some rounding so it is best to have the size right the first time.   
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

squeepo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:14 AM »
Hello nottingham,

thanks for you help.
I checked it again and imported the file with 0.1 and 0.2.
I get the same output size so theres something wrong.

I attached my DXF Settings and also both files, the DXF and the original .AI.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Simon

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
There's something wrong with the DXF export from Illustrator.

I checked with TurboCAD which shows the same as T2Laser, then with QCAD which is the same but defaults to metric (the same as T2Laser does with the force conversion setting enabled).

If your DXF is accurate it should load perfectly, you can check my DXF samples in the help menu. They also resize correctly so that is likely something to do with the units.

I don't have Illustrator on this PC but do have it on another so if you need help let me know.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:21:04 AM »
Ok yeah I thought you were exporting as a png.  The adobe dxf exporters are flawed. With Dxf .1 and .2 doesnt matter for size.  Dxf has its size information built into the file.  Here is what I told the last guy that was working in corel draw.  The plt option ended up working for him.

I was able to mess with illustrator today... none of the dxf export options will load in t2 or inkscape.  The easiest solution I found was to save the illustrator image as an svg.  Open in inkscape and resave as a dxf.  that seemed to work reliably.

If you dont want to deal with inkscape the other option is to save it as a pdf from illustrator and use agastar's pdf to dxf converter which can be used within t2laser.  To do that download this file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6izu5tzu39t4yk/Convert2DxfCmd.zip?dl=1

then in t2laser, select File-Convert PDF  you will get an error the first time telling you to download the converter then a file window will open and you need to direct it to the program you just downloaded.  Hit ok then click File-Convert PDF again and this time you can select your pdf.

Zax also had these suggestions:
Try to export as a .plt

you might want to try these steps with Illustrator before saving as a DXF:

a) right click and select "create outlines"
b) to improve quality, in the object menu select path then "add anchor points", you can repeat this several times as needed
c) ungroup the text, select the object menu and click "ungroup"

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »
I have an older version of Illustrator and it exports files that are correct, they import to T2Laser and other software with the right sizes. Surely they didn't break their DXF export, it's probably just settings.

I'm not sure if the units should be millimeters, but attached is what I had saved for the settings.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:29:14 AM by Zax »

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »
haha yeah Its more likely that I am broken.  I tried all the settings I could find (Im new to that program) and I couldnt get it to work.  They probably just hid the right settings from me.

squeepo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated.
Then i will try the .svg to .dxf way in Inkscape first.
I never thought about a corrupted .dxf file, i tried all settings in illustrator but nothing changed.

I will let you know if it worked. Thank you!

Cheers, Simon

EDIT:// I saw your PDF for the Export as .DXF from illustrator but in the new versions you have more options and i don't know which one will break the file.
I used R14 with pixels and also mm. When i started i also thought that i have to change the settings but i couldn't find the correct settings to make it work.

I attached a screenshot from the settings. Sorry i only have the german version :D
But the most of the options look unimportant. For example the "convert Text to path" thing since i've already done that in the file.
Thats just for your interest. I'm going to try the .svg way like i said, it's not worth to waste more time to find the right settings :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:42:56 AM by squeepo »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
I think it's just the scale you need to change, from pixel to mm (or cm).

squeepo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Okay, found the solution.
Even if i said i'm not going to invest more time i couldn't stop :D

I just watched a Tutorial on Youtube and the only difference to my settings, the guy in the video used R13 instead of R14.
And thats the trick, i don't know why but R14 and LT2000 destroy the scale.
It's kinda stupid, i tried LT2000 and the others but never set it to R13  >:(

Thanks again for your effort.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
nice

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
Awesome! Iím glad you stuck at it, as now I know what to tell people. Thanks.

tommo5600

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
So I'm having a similar issue i think, when I import an image created in Photoshop it never imports at the correct size (A4) I always have to scale it and that mis-aligns everything, I'm trying to print part of a page a cut out other parts but it's always mis-aligned.

any ideas?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »
This thread was about vector (DXF), you are using a raster image.

You need to set the same resolution on export as the resolution in T2Laser. Then it will be the correct size.