Author Topic: changing from windows 10x32 to 10x64  (Read 526 times)

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
changing from windows 10x32 to 10x64
« on: April 01, 2018, 03:05:44 AM »
Hi guys, its been a while. Having problems with my little portable i had to reinstall windows and now T2 asks for a new hardware licence key, i looked for my registration email but cannot find it. While looking to sort my problems i noticed that i can upgrade from windows 32 to 64 without charge so before i try it and ask for a new code i was wondering if anything in the hardware id created would change, all hardware is still the same. I think i might have saved the code on one of my other pc's but i'll have to check before asking to get my code resent.

I did buy a usb dvd burner as the pc does not have one but cannot remember if it was before or after registering T2. I do not plug the dvd in unless i need it.

TIA
Derek
Eleksmaker A3 Pro with Z axis.
Heavily Modded Anet A8 with Octoprint and Raspberry pi.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: changing from windows 10x32 to 10x64
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:11:55 AM »
Go ahead and do the upgrade (if you want) and then e-mail me and I will regenerate your key.

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the offer Zax but I think I'll stay x86, Main reason is space, this little notepad although has a 500gb hard drive the main drive is only 32gb and the bare system takes up half of that. Even installing everything on the hard drive it still adds to windows and grows slowly. Next is drivers, its a 64bit processor but Acer in their wisdom do not have all the drivers for 64bit OS, there are some but are not guaranteed.
As far as I remember T2 installs in C without option for using a different drive, is there a way round that? I really would like to save space on C as it soon eats up.

One last thing should I plug in and install the usb dvd burner before creating the hardware code or without it, I was just thinking that if I plugged in after the code and register it might stop as hardware has effectively changed.
Sorry for all this verbal please blame windows as it was an update that trashed my start menu on W10(seams to be a frequent occurrence.
thanks again
Derek
PD. I'll send an email if I get stuck

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
All up and running again, found my reg key and its still the same with or without the dvd probably as its USB.
Thanks again
Derek

Moonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:35:40 PM »
Hi,

I was also looking into replacing the 500gb HD on my Dell with a SSD. What is the procedure for the licence of T2 ? Can i deregister it and do the swop, reinstall ?

regards

Moonie
Sharks with frikken laser beams !

rpt007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 04:52:12 AM »
@Kered:

I understand that your only harddisk comes with 2 partitions? You may check with a linux live cd as boot medium if there is a chance to expand your c-drive to a bigger size, say 100G by reducing the space of your d-drive on the same hd.

But be careful and if your pc/linux knowledge is on a low level, have a knowledgable friend do the procedure for you after first having made a backup of your c-drive.

Raimund
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:53:07 AM by rpt007 »
Do you have already thought about a solution yourself or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »
What is the procedure for the licence of T2 ?

No need to de-register and move the license, as it's the same computer. The key should work, the only exception is if you reinstall Windows but if that happens I can regenerate it for you.

Moonie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
Thz Zak will do !

Moonie
Sharks with frikken laser beams !

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
@Kered:

I understand that your only harddisk comes with 2 partitions? You may check with a linux live cd as boot medium if there is a chance to expand your c-drive to a bigger size, say 100G by reducing the space of your d-drive on the same hd.

But be careful and if your pc/linux knowledge is on a low level, have a knowledgable friend do the procedure for you after first having made a backup of your c-drive.

Raimund

The C drive is a 30gb ssd or fixed sdcard  as the screen comes off to use as a tablet, the 500gb is left in the base under the keyboard and the OS is completely independent of the 500gb drive. This drive is indeed split into 2 with a small hidden section for recovery. I donīt need Linux to change partition etc. i have other tools, i can use Linux to get by but am not what you could call proficient, i mainly use it on the raspberry PI and octoprint.
cheers
Derek