Author Topic: beginning to get the hang of this  (Read 559 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
beginning to get the hang of this
« on: April 07, 2018, 06:51:05 AM »
Hi,
I am beginning to understand what is happening now with this laser engraving (could have been last weeks holiday up Glen Clova without phone contact)
Finally have what I want, where I want. Happy with this image for the coasters. The square outline was just to confirm what I wanted.
 Don W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: beginning to get the hang of this
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
You have some significant backlash, which shows up as that saw tooth pattern.

To show you the difference disable bi-directional mode in the settings / image options menu.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
Thanks for that Zax. I have tightened the belts and have disabled bi-directional mode with these results.
The right hand pic is the original, the centre pic is after the belts were tightened a little, and the left most pic is when I disabled bi-directional mode.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
I would say the issue is fixed, your results are looking good. You should enable bi-directional mode as it's significantly faster.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
you might want to check your wheel tension.  it can cause backlash too.  it looks like your middle one is better but it is still occurring.   https://youtu.be/ZzO9skEYqwY?t=55s
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:06:40 AM »
Thanks guys,
@Zax, It is getting better every time I use the programme. I just don't get a lot of time to do any work with it.
@nottingham82, very interesting video indeed. Can these these upgrades be purchased in the UK ?? I am looking to buy a 3d printer but it may be some time away.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:45:02 AM »
The file is free online. There are services which you can pay to print it for you. Like 3dhubs or shapeways or print a thing.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2482004
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:08:50 AM »
Duuuhhh. What a wally. I am so sorry about that nottingham82, I didn't realise you are the man responsible for these modifications. They are so great.
I have made arrangements to visit a local 'Mens Shed' that has a 3d printer and hope to get some tuition on operating a printer before purchasing it. I will ask if they will print these objects out for me.
My main problem with buying a 3d printer is finding a stockist in the UK for the parts etc. like new Delrin wheels. Everything I have seen seems to be located in US of A. Hopefully someone here can put me right.

Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
Nottingham is also responsible for a couple of excessive compulsive laser etching projects around this corner of the universe. There are simple 3D printable adjustable belt tensioners available.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 02:41:10 AM »
Thanks for that ggallant571. I am being blown away with the wealth of talent here. You don't really need to go anywhere else.
Everyone is very helpful and very free with their experiences, this is a simply super site and I am glad to be a member.
Many thanks to Ralph for hosting and keeping control of the site and to Zax for his comments you are all great.

take care
Don W
PS I may be buying a 3d printer this week which will mean I need more help than ever  ;)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
It's a natural progression. 2.5W laser etcher => 3d printer  => 40W CO2 cutter => CNC mill => divorce court.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
To be frank I would like a mill but a manual, possibly Bridgeport with electronic axes. I am a throwback to the (good) old days.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
It's a natural progression. 2.5W laser etcher => 3d printer  => 40W CO2 cutter => CNC mill => divorce court.

Will get the mill before the CO2 but maybe not before the divorce court. The printer is almost taking care of that. I need to print more stuff for her
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297