Author Topic: Faux brass brooch  (Read 219 times)

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
Faux brass brooch
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
Made a little (5cm/2in) Gallifreyan brooch for a Doctor Who fan friend of mine by engraving the backing red layer of gold origami paper. T2Laser, feed rate 800, power 255, diagonal raster engraving, 2W TTL. It's looking pretty brassy after a few coats of glossy varnish.

- Ian
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:55:49 AM by ianchia »

Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Faux brass brooch
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »
Now that I love...Dr Who fan myself and a young friend I know would kill for that......
I'm a noob at engraving you couldn't write the step posses on doing something like that..Please......

Merlin
Laser: A5 500mw with Mana SE -- using T2Laser
Tevo Tarantular 3D Printer

"Try not!Do!
or do not!
There is no Try!"
The Empire Strikes Back

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
Hi @Merlin, sure!

You need the kind of origami paper that I posted in this thread: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,3054.0.html I see you're in NZ, there's a Daiso store in Auckland so next time you're there, or get a friend to mail you a couple of packets?

Then burn in T2Laser with the attached PNG and the settings I first posted - because you have a 500mW laser, you'll have to go a lot slower than my 2000mW laser. Experiment, and perhaps do multiple passes.

The Gallifreyan glyph was tweaked in Adobe Illustrator from a bunch of free Gallifreyan Photoshop brushes from DeviantArt. You can google for a range of them, like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=gallifreyan+brush+deviantart&num=20&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl2tKNtsLaAhUGEbwKHdI7CVoQsAQIJg&biw=1920&bih=1089)

I bought a bunch of 2in/5cm wooden blanks off eBay. Originally I made my own, but it was so much faster and cheaper via eBay. I cut the paper out and glued it down to the wooden blank, waited for the glue to dry and then varnished it with 3+ coats of gloss varnish. Hot glued a brooch pin to the back, and that's it. Does that explain everything, or do you have more questions?

- Ian
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:26:56 PM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »
Just in case there are any Dr. Who fans who also like to etch in slate or mirrors. Here is a 254dpi that fit the Michaels slate coaster. There are a lot of very close lines that tend to blur together when etching the slate. Mirror is mush sharper.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »
Hey thanks Ian...Much appreciated...Will play around with it, it will get done just sure when.

Health problems but then engraving isn't physical  :o

Merlin....
Laser: A5 500mw with Mana SE -- using T2Laser
Tevo Tarantular 3D Printer

"Try not!Do!
or do not!
There is no Try!"
The Empire Strikes Back