Author Topic: Pixel art, T2Laser on grains of rice...  (Read 410 times)

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
Pixel art, T2Laser on grains of rice...
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »
For your bemusement, here's a "little" something to start off your weekend.

The Space Invader and "T2L" are engraved on sushi rice grain, and the "T2Laser" is engraved on a jasmine rice grain - I was curious to see if there was any difference in the different species of rice.
Feed rate 500, Power 255, Vector engrave on a 2W TTL Laser using T2Laser (of course.)

I'm still working on refining the process, but I'm encouraged by these results. When I'm happy with a consistent process, I'll probably write it up here, make an Instructable and perhaps a YouTube tutorial.  ;)

Attached are the DXFs if you want to explore a whole new mini-micro world... Enjoy.

- Ian
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:23:15 PM by ianchia »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Pixel art, T2Laser on grains of rice...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
I'm REALLY impressed, that's genius!

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
Thank you Zax. 🙏

I thought the jasmine "T2Laser" grain might be a useful marketing photo for the power of T2Laser. And phew ... some unusual edge-case testing that proves T2 works quite happily with some ultra tiny engravings (although the size of the laser "spot" in the G-Code Viewer window is a tad big :D ...)

This is a prototype - I thought I'd try some proper portraits and I'm possibly doing a collaboration with a botanical artist friend of mine. Botanical line art on a grain of rice! And I'm thinking maybe another more complicated silly pixel art thing. Lots of possibilities...

- Ian

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:50:27 AM »
you are nuts!!! amazing that you got it to work, well done. No more spending my kids inheritance on hand painted kids names on rice grains... I can no beat them at their own game!!
I did notice in the local health food place that the basmati rice grains were much bigger than the other ones they had...
I will try this, once I get myself a microscope..
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:00:56 AM »
Basmati grains are bigger heh? Hmmm. Maybe new possibilities (-x

You don’t need a microscope @kibodwin. For the initial “GG” photo I used an Easy Macro lens on my phone https://www.easy-macro.com (highly recommend if you’re into phone photography), and for this series I used a cheap phone clipon macro lens like these 3-in-1 phone clip on lens for a few bucks. https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=3+in+1+clip+on+phone+lens

- Ian