Author Topic: Mother's Day Gifts  (Read 1046 times)

SRathwell

• View Profile
Mother's Day Gifts
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
I plan on making a few things to sell for mothers day.
I have had my laser less than a week but already have orders for 4 of these.

Acacia Cutting Board
Speed 1500
Power 150
Res 0.1

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:43:21 AM by SRathwell »

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: Mother's Day Gifts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:44:31 AM »
nice, I have difficulties getting nice cutting boards, they are either bamboo or expensive exotic woods...
Feel free not to say, but out of curiosity, how much do you add to the cost of the boards to cover the work done? I find it very difficult not to under price some of the things I make..
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:15:45 AM »
This board I source locally from a "Dollar Store" They cost me approx. 5 dollars CAD. I sell for $15 - $20 depending on if I have to make a custom design.

I make between $10 and $15 a board and really once the design is done I just line it up under the laser and press go. 20 min later it is done.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:18:52 AM »
Very nice work, that would make an excellent gift.

"Dollar Store" but it cost 5 Canadian  ;D

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:25:28 AM »
If its not to prying, what corner of the Earth are you from? Acadia??
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »
So apparently I spelled it wrong. It is Acacia. It is from the south Pacific area.

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:36:18 AM »
Very nice work, that would make an excellent gift.

"Dollar Store" but it cost 5 Canadian  ;D

Ya inflation lol.....there is very little that is a dollar at the dollar store...

They are actually $4 but if you add tax and then I add 15% to all materials for my gas/time to get them. So it comes out at just over $5.

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
Welcome @SRathwell. Hope you find this a supportive community. I know I have.

I saw on another post of yours that you have a woodwork shop, so you may already know this, but others may not. I've been sternly warned by professional woodworking friends of mine about acacia since I have a handmade Australian acacia coffee table top that I inherited and intend to finish.

Some types of acacia woods are highly toxic when fine dust is produced through sanding (and possibly lasering - I don't know, and I'm not keen to find out.) Acacia melanoxylon - commonly known as Australian Blackwood (also Blackwood, hickory, mudgerabah, Tasmanian blackwood, or blackwood acacia) is occasionally used as high-end chopping boards here in Oz, amongst other domestic and fine furniture usage. Working with this type of acacia has caused nasal cancer through the decades with woodworkers who haven't taken proper precautions with dust collection. The finished product must be properly sealed before domestic use. Acacia Koa from Hawaii is a very close twin under the microscope and would likely have the same effects. On the safe side, I would personally avoid using the laser on acacia wood, if you're unsure of what kind of acacia it is. Take care!

All the best,

- Ian
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:18:15 PM by ianchia »

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Welcome @SRathwell. Hope you find this a supportive community. I know I have.

I saw on another post of yours that you've a woodwork shop, so you may already know this, but others may not. I've been sternly warned by professional woodworking friends of mine about acacia since I have a handmade Australian acacia coffee table top that I inherited and intend to finish.

Some types of acacia woods are highly toxic when fine dust is produced through sanding (and possibly lasering - I don't know, and I'm not keen to find out.) Acacia melanoxylon - commonly known as Australian Blackwood (also Blackwood, hickory, mudgerabah, Tasmanian blackwood, or blackwood acacia) is occasionally used as high-end chopping boards here in Oz, amongst other domestic and fine furniture usage. Working with this type of acacia has caused nasal cancer through the decades with woodworkers who haven't taken proper precautions with dust collection. The finished product must be properly sealed before domestic use. Acacia Koa is a very close twin under the microscope and would likely have the same effects. On the safe side, I would personally avoid using the laser on acacia wood, if you're unsure of what kind of acacia it is. Take care!

All the best,

- Ian
Wow thank you for the advice! Greatly appreciated!

I will definitely take more percautions.

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
As of right now I have sold out of all of these that I have made. I have sold 11 in the last 24 hours....

I also got 3 custom orders from people seeing the ads for these. I have almost paid the laser back in 1 week.

I am really starting to get addicted to this little thing.

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
Can I ask how you're advertising for these so effectively? It sounds like a good way of earning the laser's keep, but I intend on sticking to bamboo chopping boards. I've had some great success laser engraving little jewellery broaches cut from a broken chopping board from my kitchen. (And it make my wife very happy too. Bonus!)

- Ian

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »
Facebook is how I sell them. Posted in a few buy and sell groups. I also am setting up a Facebook page and a Shopify store.

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:55 PM »
Thank you. I'll give it a go! I haven't had a lot of luck selling by commission with our local artisans' shop.

- Ian

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:12:33 AM »
Working with this type of acacia has caused nasal cancer through the decades with woodworkers who haven't taken proper precautions with dust collection. The finished product must be properly sealed before domestic use. Acacia Koa from Hawaii is a very close twin under the microscope and would likely have the same effects. On the safe side, I would personally avoid using the laser on acacia wood, if you're unsure of what kind of acacia it is. Take care!

I  Knew it, EVERYTHING in Oz wants to kill you not just the bugs but now also the wood from the trees!!
And people still want to live out there??!!
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 12:38:05 AM »
heh.  ;)

"Drop bears target tourists, study says

BY AMY MIDDLETON |APRIL 01, 2013
Drop bears are less likely to attack people with Australian accents, according to experts at the University of Tasmania...."
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists,-study-says/

Straya!