Author Topic: Mother's Day Gifts  (Read 1041 times)

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: Mother's Day Gifts
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:10 AM »
OMG!!! this explains so much....
I always suspected Koalas to be very evil (apart from the STD they can infect you with apparently!).
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

mikezilk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
SRathwell... welcome..

I am out in Alberta.. I have used the exact same cutting boards for projects for Christmas presents. We seal all of ours with mineral oil after to keep them from drying out too much.

Love the image you used... I might need to design something similar for Mother's Day Presents out here..lol
Not sure what my laser is as it was inherited
T2 Software

Blackfalds, Alberta, Canada
Woodcraft by Mike
https://www.facebook.com/woodcraftbymike/

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 04:32:40 AM »
I use mineral oil too to seal the boards as well!

I have picked up some round Bamboo boards and have been using those!

These things are selling faster than I can make them. 22 sold so far.

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 04:57:27 AM »
Here are what the bamboo ones look like

Power 220
Speed 2000
Res 0.1

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mikezilk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »
I use mineral oil too to seal the boards as well!

I have picked up some round Bamboo boards and have been using those!

These things are selling faster than I can make them. 22 sold so far.

Feel like sharing those images?  Lol. Could get away without buying anything this year. Lol
Not sure what my laser is as it was inherited
T2 Software

Blackfalds, Alberta, Canada
Woodcraft by Mike
https://www.facebook.com/woodcraftbymike/

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
Here's my attempt to emulate @SRathwell's entrepreneurial spirit   ;D

I managed to source some solid beech cheeseboard size cutting boards from Ikea for AUD$5. https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00300348/

I also discovered that in Australia and NZ, mineral oil is known as "Liquid Paraffin" at the local pharmacy and costs around $6 for 200ml. Various woodworking forums and chopping board sites confirm this is the best oil for sealing the wood, since it's food safe, inorganic so won't go possibly rancid like olive oil, and safer to prevent anaphylactic allergies as opposed to nut based oils like tung oil.

@SRathwell, my image design is 10cm x 9cm, with feed rate of 1200, power=255, diagonal engraving and resolution of 0.2 and it took 32 minutes to engrave with a 2W Laser. I'm curious what size is your image and the power of your laser since you're able to engrave yours in around 20-ish minutes with a 0.1 resolution? I'm looking forward to seeing if I can replicate even a little of your success with the local Buy-and-sell groups on Facebook here in Northern Tasmania. Thanks for your tips.

Best,

- Ian

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »
Feel like sharing those images?  Lol. Could get away without buying anything this year. Lol

I will post when I get home tonight

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 04:39:28 AM »
Here's my attempt to emulate @SRathwell's entrepreneurial spirit   ;D

I managed to source some solid beech cheeseboard size cutting boards from Ikea for AUD$5. https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/00300348/

I also discovered that in Australia and NZ, mineral oil is known as "Liquid Paraffin" at the local pharmacy and costs around $6 for 200ml. Various woodworking forums and chopping board sites confirm this is the best oil for sealing the wood, since it's food safe, inorganic so won't go possibly rancid like olive oil, and safer to prevent anaphylactic allergies as opposed to nut based oils like tung oil.

@SRathwell, my image design is 10cm x 9cm, with feed rate of 1200, power=255, diagonal engraving and resolution of 0.2 and it took 32 minutes to engrave with a 2W Laser. I'm curious what size is your image and the power of your laser since you're able to engrave yours in around 20-ish minutes with a 0.1 resolution? I'm looking forward to seeing if I can replicate even a little of your success with the local Buy-and-sell groups on Facebook here in Northern Tasmania. Thanks for your tips.

Best,

- Ian

The small image was 3" x 3" and it took 21 min.

On these round boards it is 6.6" x 4.5" and takes around 42 min. On bamboo I find I can go alot faster. Speed 2000 and power 220. I have to have a fan sucking the smoke away or it stains the wood.

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 07:08:39 AM »
I知 guessing your laser must be a 5W since it can go so fast? I知 having to go at 1000mm/min on bamboo to get a nice consistent engrave.

I知 very grateful for your advice about FB. I started selling today and already made a good start towards saving for a K40+Smoothie/Cohesion3D. I知 very happily surprised!! Many thanks for sharing your approach.

- Ian

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
I知 guessing your laser must be a 5W since it can go so fast? I知 having to go at 1000mm/min on bamboo to get a nice consistent engrave.

I知 very grateful for your advice about FB. I started selling today and already made a good start towards saving for a K40+Smoothie/Cohesion3D. I知 very happily surprised!! Many thanks for sharing your approach.

- Ian
Nope mine is a 2.5 watt laser. I do get a little variation with the grains but once you put oil on it you can hardly tell.

SRathwell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
Also forgot to mention that I get better results when I defocus the laser a bit. I find it burns more and cuts less....

If I go down at 100p on speed with anything over 200 power I get a TON of smoke staining and a really deep engraving.

Does yours smoke stain at all?

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
I知 pretty sharply focused when I engrave. I haven稚 tried slightly de-focusing. I値l try it and report back. Your 2.5W laser seems almost twice as powerful as my 2W. Maybe my 2 isn稚 as 2ish as it says on the can. :-(

This is the type of engraving I知 getting on bamboo, up close. No smoke charring at all with power=255 and feed rate=1000, resolution=0.2.

I find that if I use air assist from a pump and don稚 mask with transfer tape, I can get smoke charring on the edges, with some types of wood. The prototype I made didn稚 use air assist and it came out perfectly, so I致e been sticking to the recipe. (If it ain稚 broke, don稚 fix it, right?) There is a very mild bit of air coming from the 40mm fan on top of the laser diode that helps blow smoke away, but there isn稚 much smoke anyway, on the bamboo or beech board that I致e been using.

Can anyone suggest how I would measure the actual wattage output of my laser? Just hook up an ammeter to the laser痴 driver or is more complicated than that? Thank you.

- Ian
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:17:47 PM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »
A cheap reliable power measurement device would be the ideal product.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:08 AM »
I did read here somewhere about a black block of metal and you fire the laser onto it, test the temp and see how long it takes to reach a certain temp, this then allows you to use the magic of maths to find the rough wattage of your laser..
then there are the very expensive tool you can get. I will post teh link to the post if I can find it..
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind