Author Topic: Mother's Day Gifts  (Read 1776 times)

mikezilk

• View Profile
Re: Mother's Day Gifts
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 06:36:29 AM »
Also forgot to mention that I get better results when I defocus the laser a bit. I find it burns more and cuts less....

If I go down at 100p on speed with anything over 200 power I get a TON of smoke staining and a really deep engraving.

Does yours smoke stain at all?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Cover the area you want to burn with green painters tape.. You will need to slow down and bit and focus the laser more, but removes all the smoke stain... or have air assist to remove smoke... I have a shop vac set up to blow indirectly on my laser for those projects that I cant sand lightly after engraving.
Not sure what my laser is as it was inherited
T2 Software

Blackfalds, Alberta, Canada
Woodcraft by Mike
https://www.facebook.com/woodcraftbymike/

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
So  here is what I made for my mother today. Its two layers of laser cut MDF and a clear acrylic top layer laser cut to help with the impression that it's a fish bowl.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
Very nicely done @will.bill! Did you cut this on your CO2?

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
Yes - that was cut on the big CO2 machine. It is about 14" high and will not fit on the K40.
          80W Red-Black 500x700

ianchia

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
Thank you @ggallant571, @kibodwin and @will.bill for your suggestions about measuring the power output of my laser. The Amazon thermometer is a bit expensive as a one off test, but I scrounged up my domestic power wattage meter. I power my laser driver separately from my L7 controller's PSU with an ATX PSU I had lying around - I also find it safer for my easily distracted brain because I switch my laser on manually on and off, only when I *really* want it.

To test, I went into the Control Laser window in T2, set the manual power to 255 and measured 13.2W being consumed by the ATX with the laser off. If I fire the laser continuously at max power, the power consumed is 28.1W. Great! My 2W laser is consuming around 15W when firing at maximum  :o

Thinking my power consumption meter is way off, I've checked on a few other devices.

An Ikea 6.3W LED globe consumes 6.7W
An Apple 10W iPad charger consumes 6.9W charging a flat iPad.
Curiously, an Apple 5W USB charger consumes 6.1W for an old iPhone with a pretty dead battery.

So... any other tips to measure output of the laser that I can do cheaply? I have a digital multimeter and an old skool analog CRO. Should I measure current on the + rail between the driver and the diode?

Thank you again for any advice.

Best,

- Ian
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:56:35 AM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:14 AM »
I've been thinking (not a regular occurrence) that we could fire the laser onto a black object submerged in a know quality of water and measure the temperature rise. tI have a number of water tolerant DS18B20 probes and suspect I could 3D print a chamber with opening for laser beam and probe. To use:

1. Weigh empty chamber with probe inserted.
    2. Add water and weigh again.
    3. Wait while chamber, probe & water temperature stabilize.
    4. Fire laser for known time and record temperature.
    5. Calculate and display energy change.

Any thoughts????????????????
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ianchia

• View Profile
Mother's Day Gifts
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
Would the laser burn the 3D print even though itís submerged in water? Otherwise, it seems sound to me. Scientific - I like it @ggallant571. Do we need special probes or can we use a cheap digital thermometer?

Would we print the black 3D object or how would we guarantee consistency?

- Ian
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:31:46 AM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
The ds18b20 probes are less than $2.00US and there are Arduino libraries available.

I suspect a chamber with an inside diameter of 100mm and a height of 50mm would contain sufficient water to keep the plastic cool. If not an aluminum disk painted black could be glued to the base. 
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
You can find the laser power my measuring the temp rise of a mass with the laser running for a known amount of time. The problem is the initial calibration.

I have Russ's dohicky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3HdVLc7nI&t=104s as well as the Mahoney meter. I am working on making sure they are linear using 2X & 4X times. If so I should be able to do a power profile of my 2W diode lasers with at least 10% accuracy. If the results look real I will post them. Time to go give my Mother the clock.

By way even though the title of Russ's video's say learning RD works there is great knowledge on how Co2 Lasers work.
          80W Red-Black 500x700