Author Topic: Avast Antiviral reporting benbox.exe has win32:Malware-gen  (Read 10502 times)

gnomic

• View Profile
Avast Antiviral reporting benbox.exe has win32:Malware-gen
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
Last week I reported to Banggood on Facebook that Avast had detected malware in the Laser Engraver...zip file.

This week there is a new file, Eleks Laser.RAR, so I download it and get the exact same error.

I don't know if this is a false positive or not and I'm not willing to find out by using this file. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this software?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Avast Antiviral reporting benbox.exe has win32:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
http://benboxlaser.us/index.php?topic=46.msg308#msg308

Yes, Benbox comes with malware... but the file is unrelated to the operation so just delete it and you'll be good.

- Zax

gnomic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
I thought I needed it to upload the firmware. no?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
Not to my knowledge.

Benbox uses AVRDude to upload firmware, which is totally safe.

- Zax

helterskelter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 05:09:14 PM »
Last week I reported to Banggood on Facebook that Avast had detected malware in the Laser Engraver...zip file.

This week there is a new file, Eleks Laser.RAR, so I download it and get the exact same error.

I don't know if this is a false positive or not and I'm not willing to find out by using this file. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this software?
I use Norton and i didn't get any warnings. That could be either good or a bad thing. No problems so far

dindunuffin

• Not even bright enough to participate in forum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
I didn't find any malware with the benbox software I downloaded.   Somebody posting a name of the file (i forget the name) and even after searching for it, I could not find anything. 

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:43:43 PM »
Nothing found here either and I ran it thro Kasperskey a couple of times  to make sure..
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »
I have Symantec and Avast (2 different systems) and both detected LaserDaemon.exe as a trojan. I did some further investigation (being an engineer) and found it opens a port to the internet so isn't a virus but is malware and potentially allows someone to backdoor into your computer or send data out. It serves no purpose as far as I can tell, so delete that file and everything is fine.

Well, except you're left using Benbox... haha.

I fired it up this morning on my dual screen computer, you can't move it to the 2nd monitor by dragging but once you do get it over there it refuses to work. You can't open an image, can't draw... basically it's useless but move it back and it works. Weird!

dindunuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »
Where did it place LaserDaemon.exe, I could not find it on my system?  If its there, I definitely want to remove it. The last thing Windows 10 needs is another security hole.

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
Where did it place LaserDaemon.exe, I could not find it on my system?  If its there, I definitely want to remove it. The last thing Windows 10 needs is another security hole.

Depends where you downloaded the software from.  I loaded mine from  Maker Block........no sign of it on their download and I have run a couple of Anti Virus checks....
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
I used the link Banggood provided, the file was in the same folder.

dindunuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
I got mine from GearBest.

BradleyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 11:41:57 PM »
I downloaded mine from Bangood last week and there is no malware file in it that I can find. I believe they were made aware and have deleted it.

rgrokett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
I was able to successfully download and install the BenBox software onto my Windows 10 PC. 

The virus alert is a false positive. It looks scary, but its because the software has (or had) a signature of a socket server in its code. The file called "laserdaemon.exe" is that socket server running on port 7683. Some say you can delete it, but I found that my BenBox GUI could no longer access the USB COM port, so I left it. WireShark shows the port connection between Benbox and laserdaemon, but strangely, no data appears to be passed.  Procmon showed laserdaemon.exe reading the Registry, but doesn't appear to write anything. I did see where Benbox GUI sends an HTTP request to their server each time it starts. No data is passed on this either, so I suspect they are using it as a simple usage counter.

I have used Benbox with my Eleks Laser from GearBest just fine. Though, once in a while it doesn't see the COM port when starting. I just quit BenBox and restart it and its always worked from then.

Go to the Instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Benbox-With-Eleks-Laser-Engraver-GearBest-Banggood/ for more complete details.

-- Russell