Author Topic: Eleks Maker A5 Laser Engraver Driver/ Software HELP!  (Read 37949 times)

dreamaker

• Harrison Township, Michigan
    • View Profile
Eleks Maker A5 Laser Engraver Driver/ Software HELP!
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
Hi everyone!  I know this question has probably been asked before, but dealing back and forth with these Chinese companied, basically my brain has turned to mush! SO!  I have a few questions, I bought the Eleks Maker A5 2000Mw Laser Engraver. OK! As I guess others have experienced there is no instructions, drivers, software, CD. There two USB type dongles I guess or Bluetooth, I have no idea what they are for. Tried YouTube, from what I found, maybe be one that came close to helping, but it was in Spanish, I don't speak Spanish.  I contacted GearBest where I bought it, sure they directed me to a site, but again! I don't speak or read Chinese. So at this point I have no idea what to do.  I have to know what those dongles are for, where to get the firmware and drivers and instructions on how to load it. And find out where to get I guess BenBox laser engraver software. Tried at one site and I guess I downloaded some ransom bug virus. So can anyone give me some direction to get started?

Thank You
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:37:14 PM by dreamaker »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Eleks Maker A5 Laser Engraver Driver/ Software HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »
They are nothing very useful, just very bright LED's  8)

I never found a copy of Benbox without the malware included, but if you delete the file (LaserDaemon.exe) the remaining files are safe.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:54:52 PM by Zax »

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »
I don't understand your remark about the LED's. The download from GearBest is all in Chinese, with something called 360 with Chinese characters, had no Idea what it was, could have been malware, so I deleted it. There was no option to translate the Chinese to English.
 I didn't care about the ransom ware, I am going to scrub the drive anyway. So do I have to buy instructions, where do I get the program software to do the engraving art. Also what about the drivers. Is there suppose to be a disc with the kit, mine had nothing in it, what are the dongle like USB's, pic is below.  Are we both on the same page. I would like to get something started so maybe burn  a piece a wood or cardboard, just so I can get the feel of it.   Once I get it setup, than I can advance myself!

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:35:22 PM by dreamaker »

Cardmodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
The dongle-like devices are LED lights, not dongles.  Plug one into a usb port and it will light up.

If you download the benbox software again and extract the .zip file, one of the directories with Chinese characters has the driver, and the other has the benbox program install.  Both are .exe files.  If you run then, they will install the driver, and the benbox software.  After the installation, go to the install folder and search for a file called laserdaemon.exe and delete it.  All the other files are safe.
Darrel

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:58:49 PM »
You asked "There two USB type dongles I guess or Bluetooth, I have no idea what they are for.", so I was telling you they are simply USB LED's and nothing more.

So here's what you need to do.

The first step is to load the driver for your Nano, it's most likely a CH341 chipset (see attached, it may work depending on your operating system) or just search for the correct one.

Then you need to load some software / firmware to control the machine. So you can either use Benbox, which you can get from their site or one of the vendors, or you can download the T2Laser trial from my signature.

Here's the official Benbox page, scroll down to after the changelog for the software link:
http://www.benbox.cn/thread-1566-1-1.html

This is the direct link, don't know if it will work:
http://www.benbox.cn/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=ODE3fDA1NmVmZGQ4fDE0NjYzODA0MTd8MHwxNTY2

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
OK! Thank You, I will check it out tomorrow, I have brain fry to day. I was looking at your T2 Laser and wondered if it was compatible.

Very strange on those USB's, I have a Garmin Vivofit that uses a dongle very similar to those for Bluetooth communication.

Thank You Again

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
Yes, T2Laser works with any Grbl based machine.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
OK! Here is what I got! Had some issues with the attachment getting to work, I guess it is for Vista and I have Win7, but got the driver to download. Went to device manager and after driver update, I setup the com port. Loaded the BenBox 3.7.99, started the program, changed to EN and at the settings at the upper right, I enabled the com port and the board recognized the com port. At the top the Z image I selected the com port and selected the Nano  LX-Nano. Well! With everything ready to go, tried to turn on the low light, no light, and tried to move the laser motors, and no movement. computer and board see each other, but no go. also the power button is pressed and LED on and USB LED is on. I am baffled at this point!

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:02:47 PM »
When you uploaded the firmware, did you get the check mark?

You could also try the T2Laser trial and see if that connects.

It will say "Connected" if it finds the Nano and should then say "Benbox Ready" if it communicates with the Benbox version of Grbl firmware.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
Yes That is what I had with the check. Well what I did is download the T2Laser tweaked it a little, and is scared the crap out of me when it moved. Got it to work in T2Laser.  In T2L can you burn something in the trial version? ALSO! someone mentioned making a box or housing around the laser, they mentioned using a green plastic or glass.  Now the glasses we ware have some sort of filter in it like maybe UV filter or what is needed. Any how, I will play with it tomorrow after work with the BenBox. 

I can't thank you enough, a real brain teaser.

Thank You

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
T2Laser is limited to 10,000 lines of G-Code in the trial but it will burn a small image or part of a larger one. Use the view button to see exactly what you will get.

You can also do Sketches (drawings) and DXF files as they aren't very large.

At least you know everything works, there is life in the machine after all.

I would always recommend to wear the laser safety glasses unless you make a fully enclosed box with a camera.

sapling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:32:38 AM »
If you go with T2laser make sure you are do the right firmware which there are instructions and download links on this site. The best one for it is the Jtech one.
Did you manage to assemble it yet? There are some instructions I believe on this site to assist with building it somewhere as well as some Videos but no voice instructions it was a lot of trial and error with it for me but eventually I got it together properly looking at pictures and videos.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »
Assembling it for me, is pretty much a no brainer, just looking and it explains itself how to put it together. I building a few gocarts and minibikes in my past days helped!
Its a good thing to know about the firmware, I got the Eleks Maker.RAR firmware now, so I will hunt down the Jtech ware after work. I have a good problem solving skills, but I would not have figured it out this quickly without you guys help!  I thank you!!
I started burning a image at low power to test it out, and came to the understanding that it needs an enclose with a fan to do some engraving. I will look to see what is out there to adapt before building one from scratch.
You know, I know ZIP!, about these engravers, now mine is running with your help.

Thank You Again

Dan

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:58:37 AM by dreamaker »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 07:15:09 AM »
Just to clarify, T2Laser works with any Grbl firmware and that includes the Benbox version.

The only caveat is that Benbox firmware doesn't support laser power control (PWM), but you can leave the Benbox firmware installed while you experiment and decide which software you want to end up using.

If you want to fully explore T2Laser then I do recommend J-Tech firmware. It's already on your system - just follow my conversion document to upload it or use XLoader but you must move the jumper under the Nano or the laser will be ON permanently.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
Got to play with it a little, T2Laser doesn't give you much time for evaluation, so I bought it. When do they give you the Key Code?  Also I couldn't do much till I finish my container housing, but running an image it only seemed to give me left to right lines burnt in. Would that be an issue with the firmware.