Author Topic: Photo Engraving help  (Read 622 times)

jhferguson

• View Profile
Photo Engraving help
« on: April 25, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
Hello! New to the group here and thanks for having me.

I am attempting to engrave a photo onto wood using my Eleksmaker A3 2.5w and the T2 software and it is just burning the wood. I am currently using a trial version of T2 so I have to make the images very small. Would that be the reason?

I can tell the laser is able to vary the power because it dims and gets brighter as it moves and seems like it is engraving even when dim but there is no color variation. What am I doing wrong?

I really appreciate all of your help and thank you for your time.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Engraving help
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
Suggest that you start with some of the known test patterns on a well known medium. This will verify that the laser X/Y motion and intensity are behaving. When burning a new image I prefer to use neon colored cardstock. It is cheap and burns at a very lower intensity.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
I have read on the forums about the test profiles but I cannot find them. Is that due to the software still being in trial mode? Also, the software that came with it burns just fine but it doesn't handle grey scale at all. How do I change the settings to a lower intensity? Currently it is set to 0 - 255. I have changed it as low as 0 - 100 and although it doesn't burn and the image looks good I still don't get any of the midtones.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:31:17 AM »
Are you using my default Grbl 1.1e firmware?

The T2Laser default settings should be close to working correctly on your machine, but let's double check in case you changed something. The trial is the same software, only a few features are disabled like saving G-code.

Using the icons from the "running man" going to the right:

Set Feed Rate (Engraving) to 1000.
Set laser min to 0 and laser max to 255.
Set the resolution to 0.2 (just for testing purposes).

Click Help / Samples / Greyscale Image

Generate the G-code and send it to your machine using the USB icon (Control Laser...) and see how that looks.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
Awesome! Thank you for your reply. I will try that when I get home and post the results. I really appreciate your assistance!

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
Btw, how can I tell which version of software I am using? I watched a few videos online but I don't see an option to upgrade and all that. I am at work currently and cannot double check but I remember looking to see which version I was running and coming up empty handed. Thanks in advance!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Current version is 1.5h, it should say in the top bar.

I just realized you may be asking about the firmware, if you enable debug mode it will tell you when you connect.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:43:51 AM by Zax »

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
Zax,

Yeah you mention 1.1e and I am not sure which version I have. Putting the kids to bed then heading to the garage to experiment. Iíll keep you posted.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
Here is what I have. Granted I am running the trail software still (for now). Still feel Ike I am missing something.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
Firmware is 0.9i. Researching how to upgrade now.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
And after upgrading to 1.1e. Iím missing something. Finished messing with it for the night but any help is much appreciated.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 04:51:25 AM »
Do you have a TTL laser (3 or more wires)?

If not, you may need to use dithered or velocity mode to achieve good greyscale.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »
I believe so. I know the connector is three pin and I believe the wire connecting my laser to the board has red, yellow, and black cables. But I am not sitting in front of it currently so I won't know for sure until I get home this evening.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »
Here is a photo of the laser that I have from banggood's website (which is where I purchased it). Maybe you can help me figure out if I do or not.

jhferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »
I can see the laser dim and get brighter as it travels across that Greyscale sample. It just doesn't burn the light colored percentages and the dark colored percentages are the same as the mid.