Author Topic: Upgraded Stepper Motor Driver (TMC2130's)....SO QUIET  (Read 338 times)

Maverick

• View Profile
Upgraded Stepper Motor Driver (TMC2130's)....SO QUIET
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:08:22 PM »
Hi guys,
So I have added two TMC2130's to my ManaSE board, and they are sooooo quiet and smooth!!  :-X
They are running in standalone mode for now, maybe I will try SPI later.
I have also added a switch with the 100K pull down resistor between the ground and SDI pin to easily swap between the two operating modes stealthchop (quieter/less torque) and spreadcycle (louder/more torque).

Huge shout out to Ian Chia for all the images, information and advice!  ;D
I wish to understand pull up/pull down resistors more, Is there any reason for this pull up to be 100k ? would 1k or 4.7k work and should it be 0.5watt or 1watt resistors ?

Just wondering if anyone else has done this or similar upgrade?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Upgraded Stepper Motor Driver (TMC2130's)....SO QUIET
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:33:36 AM »
These high microstepping drivers are getting a lot more common now, and I like this implementation with an on-board multiplier. Nice review, and they look cool  8).

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:42:16 AM »
1/8 watt is more than sufficient.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:09:15 AM »
4.7k would be the highest recommended value for a pull down resistor, 1k would be the lowest, both would have the same result.

In general you would use the higher value (lowest current) that get's the job done with some margin, but in practice I'm lazy and often use whatever I grab first - 1k, 2.2k, 4.7k it really doesn't matter.

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
Thanks, I do like this upgrade, and it seems like they have more torque, I can set my vector speed at 800 no trouble now.
Would using this 100K resistor still pull down the signal to ground or is it too much ?

When I flick the switch down (spreadcycle-the louder/more torque mode) on either of the stepper motors there is a high pitch sound, like the winding of the motors have too much current or something, would that be normal ?

Ive done the 4.7K pull up resistor between +5v and D8 to stop the hissing/winding sound in the motors when entering the laser control mode, works a treat !!
and also the 1K pull down between signal and ground to stop the laser coming on when the signal is floating. Hence why 100K seems way too strong....

ianchia

• I like making things with my heart, hands & brain.
    • View Profile
Upgraded Stepper Motor Driver (TMC2130's)....SO QUIET
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
Hi @Maverick. Happy to help. (-: I really like the way you added the switch to toggle between stealthChop and spreadCycle. I think Iíll do that to mine as well. In terms of the buzzy noise in spreadCycle mode, thatís normal at least according to the Trinamic documentation. It sacrifices super low noise to give better torque performance. In terms of the 100K resistor, if thereís current flowing and itís working to switch between the two modes withOUT accidental flipping between the two states during a long engrave job, I would leave the value as it is. There are some YouTube tutorials on calculating the value of the pull down resistor but this requires you knowing the components in the circuit. Since itís just pulling CFG1 down to GND, I would think itís ok but itís also fine to substitute a 4.7k if you like.

- Ian
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:56:26 PM by ianchia »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
In pull up/down notation, weaker is with high resistance, strong with low. Less current.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.