Author Topic: Stepper motor plugs  (Read 471 times)

Romoshka

• View Profile
Stepper motor plugs
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Building the rotary device (thing #2348308 on thingiverse) for my A5 and acquired the motor (28BYJ-48) but the plug is slightly wider and the indicator tabs are different, hence it won't plug in to the motor.  Where can I find a plug that fits the stepper motor?
Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper motor plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
I don't know about the electrical plug but:

1. That is a 5V motor.
 2. You will need to modify the wiring inside the motor to work with typical A4988 drivers.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Romoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
28BYJ-48 is available in 5 or 12V.  I got the 12V version.  Its also a bipolar motor and so modification of the board in the motor is required and I've done that mod.  Just now have to figure out how to plug it into a Y axis motor.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:26:28 PM by Romoshka »
Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
I was lazy, cut a "standard" 4-wire to the desired length and soldered the wires together. Getting the wire colors correct was a chore. I then encased the junction area with heat shrink tubing. It is relatively easy to swap the wires in the 2mm header.

Romoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
I'm totally lost and have no idea what you are describing unless you are providing that service you use in your tag line.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
I took a purchased (ebay) stepper motor driver  cable, 4-pin on one end and 6-pin on the other. Cut the 6-pin header off. Modified the stepper from a 5-wire to a 4-wire. Then soldered the two 4 conductor cables together. Using an ohm meter I identified the coils (probably could find a document).

I have three different types of stepper motor cables with different wire colors and pin mappings. It was necessary to reorder the pins to get the motor to rotate in the expected direction. That could be done at the solder junction or the header. The A/B stepper phase signals are usually printed on the PCB.

Romoshka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Ah, now I understand,  Thank you.  I do orthopaedic surgery for a living but live at the "poets and lovers" level in electronics but I intend to get up to a more functional level.