Author Topic: Laser Engraver  (Read 618 times)

thoward6471

• View Profile
Laser Engraver
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
Newby into lasers and got one of the Chinese kits. Looks exactly like the Laseraxe 3axis milling/laser machine. It has the laseraxe mini controller. Don't know the brand of the laser but it is a 2500mw. I am trying to use the cncc software. I may be missing a hex file but I downloaded what software and drivers I was able to get. Got the machine put together with no instructions. There was a wire already plugged into the laser that is on the vox/grnd connection. There is a plug in right beside that  which is pwm/grnd. I have a 12v/2amp power going to that plug. I plug the vox/grnd wire to the laser plug on the board. The x y and z movement is good but the laser will not come on as connected. If I put the laser plug in the fan plug the laser will come on but does not operate as it should. I unplug from the top of laser (vox/grnd) and check with volt meter and get varying voltage which I expect so the board is talking. I get a steady 12volts on other plug. Can someone help me figure this out

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Laser Engraver
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:02 AM »
There are many posts on this topic, search for PWM/TTL.

Depending on the board it may be a simple connection or you may need to solder a wire.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:20 AM »
The typical laser module comes with 2, 3, or 4 connectors.

The 2 pin version has [+12 | GND]. You regulate the power by switching a power transistor (MOSFET). The transistor may by mounted on the controller board or an intermediate board.

The 3 pin version has  [+12 | GND | TTL]. The Signal is driven by an output pin on the CPU

The 4 pin has 2 headers. One header has [+12 | GND] while the other has [TTL | GND]. On my 1.6W rig the GNDs must be connected!!!! I do not know what happens if you reverse the 2 cables and supply 12V to the TTL PWM pin and I will not be the person who intentionally tries.

The laser is usually switched ON/OFF using a technique called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). There are arguments/claims the the TTL produces a more precise burn.

BTW - if the laser module has a fan it needs power.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

thoward6471

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »
This laser has 2 plugs with four pins. They are marked  voc/gnd and second plug is pwm/gnd. Do you know what voc means?  I have had the 12v power pluged into the pwm/gnd and luckily didn't blow anything that I know of.  The controller has a laser plug but the positive goes to the gnd on either plug on top of laser. Do you know if a hex file could be missing? Thanks

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
My guess is it's Vcc or the power (typically 12VDC).

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
As Zax said  voc is mist likely Vcc and it is typically 12V. The other port is the logic level (TTL - 3.3V to 5.0V) for pulse width modulation. Not 12V!!!!!

thoward6471

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
Got a magnifying glass and definatly voc. With this chinese wiring could the positive from the controller go to the gnd on the laser? That is how it is wired and it is very strange to me.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
Can you post some pictures and purchase info?