Author Topic: Co2 40, 50, 60w lasers  (Read 421 times)

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
Co2 40, 50, 60w lasers
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
With the price of co2 laser engravers coming down fairly fast is the difference between say 40w, 50w, 60w etc. worth the extra price and what sort of extra depth of cut can one expect. If i get one i was thinking of getting a 60w so as not to be pushing the laser full whack all the time as this seams what kills them. maybe using 50-60% most of the time for cutting and having a bit more for the odd ocasion.

What are your thoughts
cheers
Derek
Eleksmaker A3 Pro with Z axis.
Heavily Modded Anet A8 with Octoprint and Raspberry pi.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Co2 40, 50, 60w lasers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:18:13 AM »
It is much better to run a CO2 tube at 80% or lower, you will significantly increase the lifetime.

In most cases the length of the CO2 tube is equivalent to the power output, and as with the diodes most of the Chinese specs are exaggerated. The K40 style lasers are ~36W measured (so probably a 35W tube). Using air assist and a raised bed you can expect to cut 3mm birch ply or acrylic in a single pass using 80% power, and it will be a much cleaner cut than a diode. If it's a true 60W (is the length 50% longer?) then you should be able to cut 4mm but it will depend on the lens focal length, at some point you gain speed but not depth.

When you get to the 80W systems they are typically 2 cheaper 40W tubes in parallel and use a beam combiner, depending on the quality of the optics that can be a source of power loss. All of the mirrors and optics in a CO2 are important, quality means lower losses at a price of course - you can guess what the typical cheap K40 system uses.

kered

• View Profile
    • Laracha-Meteo
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 06:41:17 AM »
Thats what i was thinking, getting maybe a size or 2 up of what one needs so you aren't pushing the limit all the time and shortening the laser life.
I did think though upping from a 40 to a 60 i would gain a bit more on depth, maybe a variable Z axis(movable bed) would be better way to go?
cheers
Derek
Eleksmaker A3 Pro with Z axis.
Heavily Modded Anet A8 with Octoprint and Raspberry pi.

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
What I would say about CO2 Lasers is to think about what you want to use if for. My K40 which has a tube that is really about 30W does a much better job engraving then my 80W laser does, but the 80W does a much better job cutting. It will cut 1/4" MDF with no problems.

My 80W is a real 80W single tube system that I have measured a peak power of 89W. The limitation is that the tube will not fire at low powers.
Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind