Author Topic: First Project Complete... with some issues  (Read 349 times)

wveagle81

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
First Project Complete... with some issues
« on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »

I received my new EleksMaker A3 Pro on Saturday and immediately assembled it and started
playing.  I had just gotten a request to do an award plaque as a going-away gift for Sunday,
so I was working on a very short turn-around.  It turned out ok, but not exactly what I
wanted.  Everyone was suitably impressed, though, so I guess it was good.

I couldn't get the greyscale to look right, so I used suggestions on this forum to turn everything
into line drawings which engraved quickly, but there were plenty of artifacts.

I need to learn more about how greyscale works in T2.  I have another award plaque I'm
working on which will be auctioned off for a wounded warrior charity (at the end of
October), so I want it to look right.  That one will be engraved on Basswood with a live
edge which should look awesome.

Anyway, this is what I produced along with the original concept and color logos, and the image I
eventually used to do the engraving.  It's engraved on a pine plaque I bought at Hobby Lobby
and finished with a Golden Oak stain.
***********************************
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

ggallant571

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2469
    • View Profile
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
I looked at the png image in gimp. Lots of rework needed.

1. There is transparent background. This probably burns quite dark.
2. The line widths are very inconsistent. For wood I prefer 3 or 4 pixels wide.
3. The outlined letters run into each other.

What is your desired finished image size?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ThothLoki

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
Also looks like you have some belt tension issues on the y axis.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

  • T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6346
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 04:00:54 AM »
I agree that the image is not the best so considering that I think your result is pretty good.

I think you were on the right path using vector rather than greyscale, it's so much faster and should give nice crisp results. It's difficult to tell but it does look like some backlash or mechanical issue mixed in with the trace not being perfect. You can adjust the image and/or threshold to get the best trace and size the image up before tracing.

wveagle81

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I was on holiday yesterday so I didn't get a chance to
read this forum until late.

I tightened up one belt which was loose.  The others seem to be ok.

As for the font, it was a free Star Wars font I found online and it's supposed to
put the letters close together.  On the lettering, I went ans set the stroke width
to 2 on each of the smaller names, and 4 (I think) on the name at the top. 
I don't know how to change the stroke width of lines in Inkscape.  That said,
when I converted the image to lines in Inkscape, I mucked it up somehow
and got double lines.  It could have been the loose belt, I'll have to burn
another one to see.

I wasn't aware transparent backgrounds were problematic.  Usually I'll convert
everything to transparent as I build the image (in Paint Shop Pro) so I can get
the spacing right.

Thanks again.  I clearly have a lot of learning to do!
***********************************
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

Zax

  • T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6346
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:48 AM »
Transparent backgrounds are not a problem with T2Laser.

wveagle81

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
Yea, I hadn't seen any problems in any of my engravings yet, and almost all of them
are transparent so I was a little puzzled at that comment.
***********************************
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

ggallant571

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2469
    • View Profile
Re: First Project Complete... with some issues
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
I am Linux based with entirely home-brew hardware/software so my results and constraints may not be applicable. Certainly can change my host application to make transparent background "white".  Currently it burns as BLACK,
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.