Author Topic: Setup for basic system  (Read 957 times)

drm

• View Profile
Setup for basic system
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
This a great forum. 
I am looking at getting my first laser engraving system.    Cost and size are important.   
My usage will be primarily engraving leather, but I may move on and do some wood too.
I see lots of great information for software and machine adjustments.
I have a few questions about proper environment settings.
I am looking at a system that will use a 5.5W laser and allow about 15"x11" working area.
If I am using a cheap DIY xy axis system with a 5.5W laser - will I want to setup a good ventilation environment - venting to outside with a duct?   
Or is that only needed for the nice 40W encased systems. 

I am also considering a 7.5W system - is there any advantage to getting the more powerful laser for engraving?
If I decide to do cutting I suspect the 7.5W system would be better.  If cutting - what do people typically use for background board?

Once I get the system I see I will need to learn to adjust it and spend some time learning how it works best on my material.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Setup for basic system
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
In my experience the 2.5W lasers are good for engraving but limited to thin cutting. More important than power for engraving is the focus dot size and for cutting the depth of focus (unless you plan to have a Z-axis).

I would recommend an outside vent for cutting, but for engraving you probably don't need it.

I use an aluminum honeycomb for cutting, also air assist will help you to cut thicker material.