Author Topic: Nothing works after Upgrade X & Y shuttering  (Read 597 times)

Robert_G

• View Profile
Nothing works after Upgrade X & Y shuttering
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
I purchased Mana SE 3.1 did all the upgrades using Elks Laser software and the motors shutter. I switched to my original Elks Maker board and same issue. Used T2 software tried all firmware options same problem. Disconnected motors and used 1 motor same issue on both boards. Change motor wires, swapped motor Driver chips to different slots still same issue. Tried different power supply. What i saw with power supply on 1 the blue light stays on the other it is blinking. Used different computer same issue.

I just ordered driver boards, Mana SE 2, nano chip. I believe this will not help. More or less i have changed or swapped out everything.

What else can be causing shuttering?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing works after Upgrade X & Y shuttering
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
Have you adjusted the stepper motor current limits? Please dump & post your grbl parameters.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
If you used T2Laser with my default Grbl 1.1e firmware and still had stuttering (and based on what you've rules out) I would disconnect the belt from the X-axis and use the single motor (not connected to the machine) to check the setup.

If it spins correctly in all 3 positions (X, Y1, Y2) then you have a working baseline and can use that to check the cables and drivers, then finally connect belts and check the mechanical components.

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have removed the motor and connected them still same problem. What tried was brought all 3 motor put them on a table. Try different combination including different computer. I did try and adjust drivers and set them equal to .500 volts.

Used the grill within T2 which is registered and other computer not registered. My smaller machine did work perfectly for years but when I got the mana I used elksmaker to install everything. Thatís when the problem showed up.

Try to wipe everything out and uninstalled elks maker. Could it be a driver in Windows. I really believe even with all new parts I may do the same thing. Some time when I would try to rotate a motor it may move 3 to 10 mm. 1 time it actually sounded like a machine gun and had to remove wire from board to stop it. I will check amps when trying to rotate motor and get back. Again thanks.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
Do you have the same problem with all motors? Are you using cables that have worked? Power supply OK?

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Same problem all motor and any drive I put them in.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
Sounds like a power supply issue.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
Could also be fried stepper motor drivers.

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
I have to order another power supply. Just thought I have a JTech driver with laser on my CNC. I will try it tomorrow to rule out computer and if ok I will try that power supply on others.

Is there a way to format the nano chip not a reset. I did use the eeprom function in T2.

Could you tell me or guide me to a post regarding checking amps of motors.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:35:51 PM by Robert_G »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 05:55:55 AM »
Using the Clear EEPROM does just that, it wipes the Nano.

Since you ruled out the drivers, cables and controller the only common thing is the power supply. If you connect a known good 3A 12VDC supply and still have problems then you will need to circle back and test the components again as you must have missed something.

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Ok tried another power supply still same. Did take small video and sound but to big to uplaod. Has to be burnt drivers. waiting for new ones to come in. Only thing is when executing movement in T2 i do see quadrants move but do not see grbl sending command. Going to try manual sending commands. Same issue using universal gcode. picture is how i am testing and using all drivers.

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
attached is my setup. Tried all drivers one at a time both cards Mana SE and L2 same problems

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
Something doesn't add up here, you've tried different controllers, cables, motors, drivers, computers and power supplies. There's nothing left!

So either you have multiple problems or bad parts or there's something really obvious we are missing.

Robert_G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
Got it fixed. when i received the new board same thing happened. What i original had done was upgrade to a larger frame laser, so i needed cables. purchased 4 and ran them. NEVER ASSUME when it's new its good. So i back up and reassembled my old machine and it worked. the only difference was the new cables. I looked hard at the cable and found the wiring for the driver were backwards but he ones at the motor were ok. The A- and B+ was swapped. Now I am testing my drivers to see which ones I burnt and if i burnt a board.

I want to thanks everyone for all the help. So this is something that can be added to the trouble shooting guide. Check the wiring of the cables.