Author Topic: Using sketch to engrave and cut a medalian  (Read 1653 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using sketch to engrave and cut a medalian
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 10:27:42 AM »
A very talented benbox user, Steve Notingham, has published an article on using inkscape for engraving.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
Thanks, found 2 you tube videos by him and watched them.  Good info.

Bob
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board & air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, &  T2
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
I hate that guy
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
I heard that he is responsible for record profits at Michael's. Mostly dues to unexpected sales of slate coasters.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 01:50:28 PM »
I am having difficulty in my medallion project, but am getting closer to success.

The medallion is created with Inkscape.  I then take the completed medallion and create two new files, one an outline and  one the text.

I then burn the text file, 1 pass at 50% power.  I home the laser.  I then burn the outline (6 passes to cut through 1.5mm basswood).  Placement or alignment is important or I end up with a poor looking medallion, see photo  (home laser pulses do not show up in photo).  The medallion is 19mm diameter (3/4").

I have been trying to find what is causing variation in my output and have finally traced it to my laser not homing to the exact same place each time.  It is about 1mm out in the "Y" direction, "X" alignment is perfect. 

Any suggestions as to what adjustments will correct this?

Bob

Corrected a couple of words
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:54:20 AM by bob2299 »
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 05:13:16 PM »
If you post the source image file I will attempt to burn/cut it. I use Linux with home-brew application so my procedures will be different.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Thanks, attached are the text file and the outline file in SVG format.  The text file gets one pass, the outline 5 passes. 

Bob
-Ender 3 3D printer

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »
I am having difficulty in my medallion project, but am getting closer to success.

The medallion is created with Inkscape.  I then take the completed medallion and create two new files, one an outline and  one the text.

I then burn the text file, 1 pass at 50% power.  I home the laser.  I them burn the outline (6 passes to cut through 1.5mm basswood).  Placement or alignment is important or I end up with a poor looking medallion, see photo  (home laser pulses do not show up in photo).  The medallion is 19mm diameter (3/4").

I have been trying to find what is causing variation in my output and have finally traced it to my laser not joking to the exact place each time.  It is about 1mm out in the "Y" direction, "X" alignment is perfect. 

Any suggestions as to what adjustments will correct this?

Bob
How I'd do it... Bring in your text image, turn on sketch plus, open sketch, draw the outer circles in t2 sketch, set the vector speed to your cut speed, and turn on multipass for the cut. It should then do it all in one go. Although if you are losing steps all at once may not help.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
It looks like you have a mechanical issue, those circles don't look round and perhaps some missing steps or carriage issues.

Is the text portion an image, filled vector or something else?

Either way this can easily be combined as a single job. The Sketch Plus method would work well if it's an image and you want circle cut-outs.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 05:06:17 PM »
The supplied file "Scott outline small.svg" renders as 15 circles on my Linux system. When I examine the file there are entries for text. Wonder if you have a newer svg or Inkscape version.

Oldiron13

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
I see the same thing on my Win 10 system. I also notice that the circles are not aligned with each other, that would cause the problem in the finished pic.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

I have managed to get my project completed, but not as I would have preferred.  I have attached two final files, scott-outline-large.svg and scott-text-large.svg.

The method I used was to create one medallion was in Inkscape using circles and camBam stick fonts.  Positioned everything until I was happy.  Checked measurements for accuracy, printed on paper and checked accuracy, OK.  Saved as a dxf file and printed with T2 on cardstock, accuracy OK.

Then I went back to inkscape and duplicated the coins 15 times to fit my basswood.  I then created Scott-outline-large by selecting and deleting all but the outine.  Result 15 outines.  Then I did the same by deleting the outer circles of the coins.  Result 15 "text" drawings.  All drawings are vectors.  Created DXF file for "text" and "outline".

Using T2 I burned a reference mark at 0:0.  Using T2 with the Scott-text-large.dxf I printed the "text" drawings.  Homed the laser and it relocated at 0:0.  Loaded scott-outline-large.dxf and verified home was at 0:0.  Burned pass 1.  Rehomed for each of 6 passes.  Rehoming of two passes did not rehome correctly but were about 1mm off in the "Y" directioon.  These were manually rehomed and the burns completed. 

I was able to complete the project, the medallions are round, well spaced and will fit in a 1" Forstner bit hole 1.5mm deep. 

I still have a problem in that my laser did not rehome  to the 0:0 point every time.  I did not use the sketch technique of multi passes becuase of my rehoming problem.

Bob
-Ender 3 3D printer

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »
If it doesn't return to 0,0 this usually indicates your machine lost steps somewhere in the job, or during the move back to 0,0.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »
Is there a way to prevent this?  It did not occur every time.  I have adjusted the current in the stepper drivers slightly (clockwise adjustment of adjustment screw).

Bob
-Ender 3 3D printer

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
I would disconnect the belts and make sure the axis are smooth and there's no friction or points that stick.

Do not move the axis manually while the motors are connected (without unplugging them) as back-EMF can damage the drivers.

FYI: I don't recommend adjusting the stepper driver current without checking the reference voltage. Too high and the driver and/or motor can overheat and cause lost steps or stalling just in the same way that too low current can.