Author Topic: Using sketch to engrave and cut a medalian  (Read 966 times)

bob2299

• View Profile
Using sketch to engrave and cut a medalian
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
I am not having too much success.  I am trying to make a small medalian for a friend's wood turnings out of 1.5 mm plywood.  It will be a disc about 1" or 1.25" diameter with his name and date around in a circle.

I have done this with curved text in a sketch see "test.t2s".

The text is OK, but is an outline form.  Question one is how can I make it solid (or must I use stick fonts or sketcch filled)?

Second thing I would like to be able to do  this by engraving the text in one pass, then cut the circle in 3 passes.  Is it possible to do this as one operation i.e. engrave and cut the circle as one Job?

I am not having any luck in reducing the size, the medallian is cutting at 2.5" (50mm) in diameter despite the sketch setting being 25 x 25.  There does not seem to be a way to use the "output size" feature. What am I doing wrong?

This is my first time using the sketch features.

Bob
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board
-Laser Air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, & T2, Cura.  My interests are  marquetry/inlay/3d printing
-Monoprice Select mini & Ender 3 3D printers
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Using sketch to engrave and cut a medalian
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
are you doing a vector engrave? if so, you can turn the hatching on to "fill" it

for engraving and cutting at the same time, look into Sketch Plus. That allows you do to that all in one job. I can't tell you how because I have never used it
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
It sounds like you have several problems, the first thing I would address is the sizing.

If you set it to 25 mm and it's coming out 2X then your machine probably needs calibration, test using the jog distances, if that's doubled then use the calibrate distance feature in the settings menu to correct it.

To get filled text you either need to use raster (Sketch Filled) or a hatch as suggested.

Sketch Plus does allow you to combine raster and vector, but what you really want is to combine 2 vector jobs. The easiest way to do that is to generate the cut and copy the G-code, then go back and generate the engraving and paste the cut G-code to the end. If you need help, let me know.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
So, starting at the end, you are suggesting I add the two jobs together in series so the single pass text is done, then the multiple cutiing passes are done.  Assume the files are joined using a text editor.

I suppose creating my medalian would be easier using Inkscape and vector drawiwngs, although the curved text in Sketch is pretty easy to use too.

I will do some more experimenting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
-Laser Air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, & T2, Cura.  My interests are  marquetry/inlay/3d printing

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
If it's a one time deal you can copy/paste directly in the editor but if you want to be able to use the file in the future you can use notepad or another text editor.

Sketch is great for quick jobs, the hatching and arc text features are easy to use compared to most programs (says the developer  ::)).

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
I am working on a medalion of 1.5mm birch ply.  It has a circular outline that will be cut.  And a circular ring of text plus a number in the center.

I made the artwork in Inkscape and used CamBam stick font for the text.

The laser job will be two steps, 1st the text will be burned, then the 2nd part is to use a cut burn of several passes to cut the disc.  Trial burns have been on card-stock.

I drew the composite medallion and the separated it into two files, one the text, the other the disc.  I made 3 sizes and a total of 12 discs per sheet 4" x 6".

I found I had a number of problems.  I had the two files register well in Inkscape, but not when burned.  I made sure to have the T2 output size the same (100 x 150mm).  The registration was off for the text, I could fix it by placing a "marker" in the text file to coincide with a disc in the "outline" file.  This would come close.

Then I found that my disc diameters were printing larger than they were originally in Inkscape (were 3/4", 1", and 1.25" in inkscape).

Any ideas on a better workflow or technique to  resolve my problems.

I have attached the composite svg file.

Bob
-Laser Air assist

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 04:19:30 AM »
I loaded your file, and to expedite the process I removed all but 1 of the 25 mm designs.

Then I saved out 2 DXF files, one for the center and another for the outside cut.

I made sure Relocate Origin was disabled and tested the files, they aligned correctly and sizes were accurate. No resizing was necessary.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
Thanks, will check it out later today.

OK, looks like I had screwed up my procedeures. I was attempting to change sizes, whereas a simple open and run the dxf files is what I needed to do.  A much simplified workflow as you used  does the trick!

Thanks for the help.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:53:12 PM by bob2299 »
-Laser Air assist

bob2299

• View Profile
Re: Using T2 to engrave and cut a medalian
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
I thought I was cruising along on this project, but have inconsistant results.

I have created a file of several medallians using Inkscape.  The text is "CamBam stick font".  A copy of svg file attached.

When I make the DXF file and open in T2 I get the circles only, no text, copy of DXF file attached too.

Help would be apreciated.

Bob

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:27:01 PM by bob2299 »
-Laser Air assist

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
I've tried to open the svg file with 3 utilities. Different results each time. From inkscape I was able to export a png file but the resulting image was quite small and many of the pixels were very faint. Raster etched on cardstock but the text is barely readable.  My host application imports svg files but it was unable to decode you file.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:33:19 AM »
No problem loading the SVG with Inkscape, then select everything and click object to path and export the DXF. Loads correctly to T2Laser.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:12 AM »
The text in your image doesn't look the same as it does on my system with inkscape.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Hi Zak and GGallant571, the only thing Zak did differently was to select the image and do "object to path".  I do that and my DXF is OK.

When I did my creation of the sketch I didn't do "object to path".  That must mean that my image must be mostly "bitmap".  I say mostly because the circles worked, but not the text.  I subtracted text and am left with an "outline" file of circles.  It creates a good DXF file probably because I had to "object to path", then "break apart" the elements to create my DXF file which is OK.

I opened the original "composite" file.  I subtracted circles and am left with an "text" file, saved as DXF and again incorrect results.  Back to drawing board.  Applied "object to path" command, saved as DXF, opend in T2, all OK.

I am not sure where to find this in the Inkscape manual,  (I read up on paths, text and SXF files but am none the wiser) but if I make sure that my drawing has the "object to path" command used before editing or finalizing my Inkscape file I will be OK.  Must be bitmap vs vector content that was messing with me.

Does this make sense?

Bob
-Laser Air assist

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »
Let me explain how Inkscape and other CAD programs work.

The text is not vector paths it's the font. This means it will only look correct if the person loading it has that exact font installed (which I do) but when you convert the text to paths it is no longer editable text but vector lines. Anyone can then load that file and it will be accurate, whether they have the font or not (since it's just paths).

Inkscape does this for some other shapes as well, I think it's spirals and some others aren't actually paths until you convert them so exporting a DXF which can only be vector just removes those objects.

Some fonts are indeed raster (bitmap) and these don't convert well to paths but most do.

bob2299

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Thanks, I think I follow what you are saying.

Bob
-Laser Air assist