Author Topic: Help with settings for cutting  (Read 1060 times)

Christbearer2111@gmail.co

• View Profile
Help with settings for cutting
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »
So I have not been able to cut anything successfully I don’t know if setting are wrong or what. I have a 2500nm laser and using BenBox. I am new to the “cad” stuff so let me know what info you need to help me. I have gotten as far as deep burns in thin ply and so I switched to balsa and still just getting deep burns - even with 4-5 passes but not going through. Thanks

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with settings for cutting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
Do you have the focus set to a sharp point?
What is the power setting?
Speed might be in the 100mm/min range.
Do you have a current meter and od O-scope?
What is your definition of thin plywood?

I would strongly suggest you trash benbox and switch to something like BCL. There is a free demo version. With it you also need to change to a better firmware such as GRBL-1.1. The overall support is 1000% better!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:32:05 AM »
Air assist is the key to getting deeper cuts, this is true for both diode and CO2 systems.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »
How thick is the balsa?  Getting the focus adjusted properly and air assist are key.  I can cut 3/32 soft to med balsa in a single pass at about 300-350 mm/min. Plywood needs to be laser compatible or the laser will have problems with the glue.  1/8" laser ply takes about 4/5 passes at about 100 mm/min.  The best way I have found to get the focus correct is with BCL using the focus line.  I stack index cards the exact thickness of the material I am going to cut then cut focus lines adjusting until it cuts thru 2 cards.  You will also see the focus line gets thinner as you get the focus more precise.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
As far as the plywood I am not sure of the thickness - it is just standard panel board or underpayment from Home Depot/Lowe’s - I did not know there was “laser compatable” plywood, makes sense though. The balsa is 3/32 and all I am getting is a deep burn even after 2-3 passes.

BenBox settings:
Intensity 2500
Speed 25
Time 500

PPM 320
Feed Ra 1500

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
you need air assist and you need to raise your material up so there is an air gap underneath
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
What is PPM? If it is PWM (Pulse width Modulation) then what is the 320 out of. If it is 1024 then you are at about 30% power. If it is out of 256 then it could be max power or approx 25% depending on the firmware interpretation.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:06:42 PM by ggallant571 »

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:43:00 PM »
I don’t know why all the setting (initials mean) it is in BenBox that is why I subscribed to a BENBOX FORUM!!! If there is some other program that is better let me know - I can not find the above mentioned BCL software I have tried downloading som others that popped up but can’t get them to connect to my laser. So for now I am stuck with BenBox SOOOOO DOES ANYONE ON THIS SO CALLED BENBOX FORUM KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BENBOX?!?!?!?!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:26:38 AM »
I wrote T2Laser as a replacement for Benbox as it would not install on my system due to malware. The owner of this forum wrote BCL (BenCutLaser) which is another replacement software.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
99.9% of the users on this forum have abandoned the Benbox software and firmware. The alternatives address the failures, offer better options, work with a standard protocol, are under active development, and are supported!!

Most people new to laser engraving/cutting expect the tool to just work. The video showed everything working perfectly. More lies, fraud, and photoshop than reality. If you want to proceed cautiously get a replacement Arduino Nano board and load the new firmware on it. You can then revert back by just swapping boards.

As for learning the terminology, do it or fail. Like any other tool it is necessary to learn how to use it properly.