Author Topic: Size/Resolution  (Read 1142 times)

pedwards2932

• View Profile
Re: Size/Resolution
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:32 AM »
Ok I was just thinking that wherever I have the laser when I open the laser controls it is set as 0,0 which I use by making sure it is all the way to the right and all the way to the bottom....that would be 0,0 then if I put a cross hatch at 5,5 and  5,600 and 600,5.  I have been able to use the 0,0 position by putting it against the stops and it has worked fine for me.  Does that make sense?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 08:04:37 AM »
You could do that, but to ensure it's straight a ruler fixed to a base that is aligned with your gantry is the better method.

It's fairly easy to set a 0,0 but if it's rotated slightly the alignment becomes more difficult.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
What I am thinking is when I align the 5,5 mark with the laser I will stick a pin in the paper using foam backing board.  Then move to 5,600 mark pulse the laser and rotate the paper until the laser is aligned with the mark then stick a pin in it.  Then check again at the 600,5 mark to make sure it is correct.  I am relying on the fact that the first pin is in the correct location and I am rotating the paper on that axis.  It may not work but in my head (I have wild ideas occasionally) it seems like it would work.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
That sounds reasonable (if a little involved) and should work. Having a fixed ruler / square as a jig and just placing the paper against the edges seems easier to me.

It sounds like you are moving the laser to the limits (left and front) before connecting so you have some "reference". In that case you can setup the custom buttons to automatically make these moves; one for the 5,5 position, another to move to 5,600 and a final one at 600,5.

You may want to move to the 5,5 and then reset it as 0,0 which can be done with a custom button, then the others would reference that new 0,0 instead and your job would align correctly to the lower left of the paper.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:10:17 AM by Zax »

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
I'm probably over thinking it but if this works I will make a template in Inkscape for doing decals that will allow me to align them pretty quickly.  I don't want to use my cutting waste board for this because of the metal grating makes it hard to work with paper.  When I cut balsa it doesn't have to be as accurate.  I did this before for a single decal and what I did was made a cut out first then I aligned my printed paper with the cut out and it came out pretty good but that was just one decal and the sheet I am working on has multiples.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
I think I was trying to get too many decals at once.  I did find a method that works pretty well after about 8 failures.  I taped down a blank piece of paper and then cut the trace of the decals.  Then I removed the cut away decals outlines and slid the printed sheet of decals under the paper with the cut outs and aligned it and taped it down.  It cut most of it out perfectly but I think some inaccuracies in either belt tension or something makes it pretty difficult to be that precise.  I have decided to do fewer decals at once.  Also the black lettering I am going to cut out of a black background so alignment isn't as important.