Author Topic: Upgrade Installation woes (CLOSED)  (Read 371 times)

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Upgrade Installation woes (CLOSED)
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
I had BCL 2.3a running nicely on an old 32 bit XP laptop. Attempted to upgrade to 3.2 and the installation failed.
First the setup.exe file (only) will not extract using PeaZip to unzip the files into a new directory. I could copy it from the zip file to the location of the other BCL files in a new folder.

The installation has a problem at the end where it states it cannot find the uninstall file. However, the install program signals success.

Attempting to run 3.2 brings up an error message that 3.2 is not a 32 bit program. I cannot find, in the forum release files, where BCL is now only a 64 bit program.

I reinstalled from a new download and installed BCL directly from the zip file with the same results.

BCL 2.3 runs nicely in my Win10 Pro machine.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:16:05 AM by Administrator »
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Installation woes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
My guess is that 3.2 has some dependencies that are 64 bit only or it was compiles for 64 bit only
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Installation woes
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
I'm a little confused: What do you mean by upgrading? Are you trying to install a new BCL ver on the same PC or are you trying to install a new BCL ver on a new PC?

Your 'old' BCL lic file is specific to your previous PC. Make sure you have not copied any of your files from your old PC to the new PC. In addition to the lic file, there are other files that know only your previous PC and won't work correctly on a different (new) PC.

If you're trying to install on a new PC, make sure you are doing a fresh, clean install on that new PC. It will install as a Trial version of BCL. If you're installing on a new PC, you will have to purchase a new Paid lic file (at 50% discount).

If you're still having install issues, try downloading a new .zip file. Manually delete the BenCutLaser folder on your new PC and try it again.

I've never used PeaZip. We might have to do a screen sharing session if you continue to have install issues. What is a good time to link up with you? I'm on Los Angeles time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:44:59 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

mrehmus

• View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Re: Upgrade Installation woes (OPEN)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
I'm about 20 miles Northeast of San Francisco in Vallejo.
I have successfully used a XP laptop with an older version of BCL. The first version you offered with imaging.
So I downloaded the zip file several times on my Win 10 Pro desktop that has already been upgraded to the latest BCL a while ago. No problems there, it works fine and I could export G-code to the laptop and run it on the older version.
Taking the unzipped file set to the laptop, setup.exe was missing. OK, extract it out of the zip file separately and use it. I get the error message about the uninstall file. BCL will not work because it tells me it is not a 32 bit program.
I tried a reinstall over that and unzipping the file on the laptop with no joy.
Uninstalled all BCL files and installed 2.0a, the only other version I have. It installed and worded properly.
Uninstalled all BCL files again and attempted an install of 3.2a. No joy. In fact, now it will not finish the installation. At the end of the installation where the last of the installed files are shown, the error message comes up again.
I've attached screen captures of the first message during the installation process and then the error message at the end of the installation process. Unfortunately there is no way to export the details of the error message so I scrolled and captured each window.
The ID Code number when 2.0 came up is BC964AE3
I'll send the rest of the screen shots in another reply since I've reached the attachment limit.

Best,
Mike
mrehmus
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer

mrehmus

• View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Re: Upgrade Installation woes (OPEN)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »
The rest of the attachments.

I am not certain I can get the old laptop on line. Probably can but we'd have to try.

I did use the built-in XP unzip utility which worked fine.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:18:06 PM by mrehmus »
mrehmus
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Installation woes (CLOSED)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
I got a hold of Mike on the phone last night and we got the latest BCL ver working on his Win10 PC.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com