Author Topic: Turning T2 laser into CNC software  (Read 811 times)

MegaBlackJoe

• View Profile
Turning T2 laser into CNC software
« on: October 27, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »
Hello Zax.

Thank you for what you are doing. I am enjoying using T2 laser for my laser cutter. But I have recently purchased small CNC machine and have several questions:

Do you have plans to add more features that will be usefull for CNC owners?

I also have a couple of other questions:

- In settings it's possible to select Z axis mode - laser focus or CNC. When I select CNC mode, settings are not saved when I quit T2 laser (focus mode is selected by default. Is it possible to fix it? Why it's possible to select both modes simaltaneously? Shouldn't it be just one mode selected at a time?

- Is it possible to improve resetting home position within a single button push? Correct me if I am wrong, but now you can't reset Z axis position.

- Maximum spindle speed can be set to 1000 only, whereas gbrl 1.1 allows to set RPM, so the value can be greater than 1000. Is it possible to fix it?

- Laser mode is enabled by default and needs to be changed each time control window is opened. Can it be fixed?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Turning T2 laser into CNC software
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
T2Laser fully supports CNC and has for a long time. I use it on my CNC machine. Setting CNC mode overrides other modes such as Laser Z-focus.

You can set Z-home, and if you have a home switch you can use the correct firmware for auto-homing. Iím not sure what you mean by single key homing, thatís already how it works in both cases.

The CNC mode does not save because you have to set the Z depth each time, it wouldnít be safe to assume itís the same as your last configuration.

The spindle speed and firmware values should match, T2Laser uses 255 by default as the Nano output is 8-bit. Using 1000 is possible if you change the firmware parameter but you donít gain anything as that value must be down scaled back to 0-255 for output by Grbl.

MegaBlackJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »
I don't have Z probe or switch. Instead I am manually turning the knob

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 04:27:34 AM »
I manually set Z-home as well, you just jog to the top of the material (I do this using a feeler) and then right click the Z-home button which sets Z0.

MegaBlackJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
My experiments with T2 laser as Gcode sender for CNC engraver failed.

There are a lot of things that make the usage not convenient and sometimes dangerous.

First is that you always have to turn on CNC mode.

Second - gcode viewer doesn't work on 3d models.

T2 laser doesn't incorrectly sends Gcode generated by third party software - RhinoCam for example. But it works fine with built in samples.

The problem with 3rd party gcode - it can't detect z position correctly. For example, gcode tells to mill 1 mm. T2 laser lifts z axis  instead of lowering it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
Yes you must enable CNC mode every time, that is a safety feature to ensure you enter the max Z depth. I could have saved the max Z from a previous usage but what if the operator didn't set it correctly, you'd have broken bits or worse.

I'm not sure why you are not seeing the simulation "view" correctly, perhaps you are using imported G-code.

T2Laser isn't designed to be a sender for 3rd party G-code.

If you are using it as a sender for 3rd party G-code and the laser goes the wrong way that's a problem with the G-code you imported since T2Laser would send it "as is" and the Z direction is specified in G-code as either positive or negative values.