Author Topic: Can't get 10W to work with Benbox/T2/Grbl  (Read 471 times)

dirkentimmer

• View Profile
Can't get 10W to work with Benbox/T2/Grbl
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »
Hello guys,

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Makeblock XY-plotter V2 and icm a 0,5W laser module. The 0,5W laser was fun to start, but it was very weak and slow, so I searched for a stronger laser.
I bought a 10W laser from Endurance Lasers (http://endurancelasers.com/diode-lasers/10w-endurance-laser/). Before buying the laser, George from Endurance ensured me that I could keep using the laser with Benbox, which we used for engraving pixel-based files.

But unfortunatelly, despite George's patience and help, I still can't get my 10W laser to burn with Benbox (or other software like T2 or Grbl), and at the point of getting a little desperate:s. The strange thing about this, is that my 0,5W laser used to work fine with Benbox. The 10W laser however does not. It moves, but it won't fire. It does work with Mdraw.
Here's what I have tried up untill now (please keep in mind I'm a website designer in daily life, and I'm completely new to this business).

- the wiring seems to be OK according to instructions from Endurance lasers
- I tried both pins on the board to connect the laser
- I tried all 10 firmware versions in the screenshot below

I just can't get my head around this, am I missing something? Here are some photographs and screenshots, I really hope you guys can help me out.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Can't get 10W to work with Benbox/T2/Grbl
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
There are 2 different configurations for the laser control, the older Grbl 0.8 used D12 and the newer Grbl >0.9 is D11 (which supports PWM).

You need to use the firmware that matches the hardware.

The MakeBlock site seems slower than molasses so I can't pull up the instructions. It looks like an Uno and shield system from the pictures but I can't be sure. What firmware does mDraw use? If it's Grbl it should work with T2Laser, even if it's the older version.

dirkentimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
Wow thanks for the quick reply Zax
I'm really completely new to laser engraving, so in the next few days I'm going to try to translate terms like D11, D12, PWM first:) And figure out what firmware mDraw uses. Anyway, thanks for the help so far

dirkentimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:58:16 AM »
Update: the laser works with Benbox!
A friend of mine came over yesterday to see if he could help me detemrine the problem, and after an hour orso of checking wires, firmware, settings we found that someone else faced the same issue: https://forum.makeblock.com/t/benbox-minimum-laser-wont-turn-on-under-200/7478/6
It appears that Benbox uses different wiring for the laser than for instance MDraw does, when we changed polarity it worked. Now I can engrave pixelbased images. Thank you guys for thinking with us.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Congratulations. That is what zax was alluding to. D12 d11 etc are all specific wires that come from the controller. If your controller sends the signal to the wrong wire it won't ever get to the laser. Keep us updated on how that 10 watt works out for you... It looks fancy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016