Author Topic: Upgrading an old 2-Wire Engraver  (Read 502 times)

wveagle81

• View Profile
Upgrading an old 2-Wire Engraver
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »

I have a cheapo 2-wired 2W engraver which I'd like to upgrade to a 2.5W one.  I was
looking at the Eleks Maker site and found the page for Laser Module and Controller.
Do I just need to purchase those two items to do the upgrade?  I'm assuming I'll
need to fashion something to attach the laser module to the gantry unless they sell
that part.

It looks like the controller comes with all of the cabling except maybe the power cord
but the existing one I have should work I think.
- EleksMaker A3 Pro
- Paint Shop Pro and T2
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Upgrading an old 2-Wire Engraver
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
You can actually use the older board if you are willing to do some soldering, the Nano is what provides the TTL/PWM signal (D11), all the newer board does is route that signal to the S-pin (signal) on the 3 pin laser connector.

Gunit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
Hi, can you give more info on doing this?
Saying THANKS don't cost a dime, so hand it out freely!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
The Nano D11 output is the laser PWM so if you have a TTL laser you just connect power (+ / GND) directly to the power supply and then connect D11 to the TTL input and one of the GND's to the laser GND.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »
Supplying a 5V CPU signal to the input of a 2-wire 12V laser module will not drive the laser. Someplace you need a TTL to Laser Power converter. On the newer "TTL" modules the power transistor is part of the circuit board mounted on the module itself. On other systems the power transistor is mounted on the controller. Both schemes allow you to deliver pulse modulated signal to the laser diode. I have both and cannot say which is better.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Gunit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 02:03:36 AM »
The Nano D11 output is the laser PWM so if you have a TTL laser you just connect power (+ / GND) directly to the power supply and then connect D11 to the TTL input and one of the GND's to the laser GND.
Thank you.

Gunit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 02:06:06 AM »
Supplying a 5V CPU signal to the input of a 2-wire 12V laser module will not drive the laser. Someplace you need a TTL to Laser Power converter. On the newer "TTL" modules the power transistor is part of the circuit board mounted on the module itself. On other systems the power transistor is mounted on the controller. Both schemes allow you to deliver pulse modulated signal to the laser diode. I have both and cannot say which is better.
Littel more to it then I thought. :-[
Thx