Author Topic: Latest from me  (Read 1002 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
Latest from me
« on: November 19, 2018, 02:29:34 AM »
Hi All,
I have been trying to get Zax's T2 Laser running in Linux and have finally admitted defeat.
I have installed T2 on a Samsung Notebook with Windows 7. I received the registered version of T2 yesterday and here is my first burn on the new setup. It looks as if I could have centred it a bit more accurately  :-[
I am pretty happy that this setup will do what I need so I will thank all you guys that helped me understand this so far, but, I feel I need to fit 'Home' switches to quickly set up the Home position and I would like to ask if it is possible to cut 5mm plywood with my setup.
The 'Home' switches, I am sure, have already been discussed on this forum so I will go and look for that thread and come back here if I may and ask my stupid/annoying questions.
Here is a pic. of the burn I did yesterday, about 3 3/8" (86mm) diameter.

Don

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Latest from me
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:31:49 AM »
Nice engraving.

Home switches are essential if you do any repetitive jobs, they will allow you to use simple jigs and preset locations or custom buttons to move there and set 0,0 quickly.

If it's a one-off item you can use the engrave frame to mark your wasteboard and then position the item, it will be very close. You could also do a trace of the outside and use that for the position (very accurate) but remember not to have relocate origin enabled.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:02:48 AM »
Thanks Zax,
I have an oven tray attached to my baseboard  and I place my coasters etc. on top of that when I want to burn them.
I move the beam to the bottom left hand corner when I want to burn and use Machine > Set Origin (Workpiece) to set the Origin for burning.
I can easily work out how to burn from there. The picture of the coaster shows that it is burnt about 1mm off centre but is ok for a trial.
I will attach a pic of the setup at present and will keep it as is for now.
The reason I have the rack there was to see if I could cut plywood. I would love to be able to cut 1/4" (6mm) but will settle for cutting 1/8" (3mm) to start with. I need to check if I have the right equipment for doing this and will look back through the forum. Maybe need BCL ??

Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »
1. Use magnets to keep the work from moving.
2. Attach a straight edge on one edge to help align the material.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:28 AM »
Cutting 3mm ply is realistic, you will need ~6 passes with a 2.5W if equipped with air assist. The higher quality the material the better the cut, as any imperfections will result in incomplete cuts. T2Laser supports multi-pass cutting which is what you need, it also has grain compensation if you find cuts in one axis are better than others (not usually the case with ply as it's typically stacked with opposing grain for strength).

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.
@ggallant, the front edge is a 1/4" dia bar and is ideal to lay the edge against. I have some magnets that should be ideal for holding the ply against the rack.
@Zax, I would like to try the 3mm ply but will need to get air assist first. Would an air pump for an aquarium suit ?? I was going to purchase an aquarium pump for my scroll saw to give me a better supply of air and thought I could make it dual purpose and use it with the laser engraver ??

Don W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
Yes. That should work just fine.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 06:23:13 AM »
I am having a bit of a problem at the moment with my engraver. I can't focus the laser. I can screw the cap up until it is tight and screw the cap right off and it still shows the same spot.
Is there anything I can do about this ?? Are there any checks I can do before purchasing a new laser unit ??

On another note, I have been drawing boxes to be made in card and have been using DraftSight. I have made up the drawing starting from 0,0 and have saved the drawing as a R12 ASCII Drawing (.dxf) and it works in T2 beautifully. I had a problem with saving for a while and finally found that saving as R12 ASCII does the job. There are 16 'Save' options in DraftSight for .dxf format and this is the first one I found that worked with T2. I think it should be possible to create a programme in DraftSight that will make up these shapes, possibly using a spreadsheet type of input ?? Who knows I may be all wrong here, I have been wrong before.
I just need the laser sorted now so I can burn the card.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
The diode may have failed, that could give a large spot that won't focus. Alternatively are you sure the lens is seated correctly.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 11:10:31 AM »
Hi Zax,
I don't know if the lens is seated correctly. I don't know how to check. I had the cap screwed up and took a picture with the power set at 50.
I then unscrewed the cap to see if I could get a smaller 'dot' but the cap fell off and the 'dot' was still the same size.

I may be able to get a new laser unit and a new board for christmas (if I am good) so I don't mind if parts need replacing.

Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »
Did you put the lens in upside down?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
I can only see 2 pieces, the laser unit with a thread on the end and the cap piece that screwed off this thread.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
There should be a small lens and usually a spring or o-ring that keeps it pushed against the lens cap.

It's possible the lens is still in the module, I've seem them get stuck which would be why it's not changing focus.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 02:07:52 AM »
Thanks Zax,
I will remove the laser unit and have a look. It is a bit awkward trying to do this in situ.
I am sure that the unit has been like this for a while as the cap is very loose on the thread and I have never seen a spring.

Don W
PS I just discovered that there is 2 sets of jog distances, a right click in any of the boxes acts as a toggle. Well done.
EDIT I have taken the laser unit from the frame and removed the cap. There seems to be a problem with the threaded part that sticks out from the unit, it sits at an angle ??
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:00:52 AM by donwatson »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 04:31:32 AM »
I wonder if it's always been like that. So no lens?

(yes, those small jog increments can also be enabled in the menu but a right click is faster)