Author Topic: Where's all the talk on these Chinese CNC machines...  (Read 946 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Where's all the talk on these Chinese CNC machines...
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:02:48 AM »
I just got a 3018 from Banggood during their Black Friday deals, $115 shipped. It had ZERO instructions, but using the pictures on their site as a guide I had it assembled and adjusted in 2 hours. Very nice kit for the money.

It came with Grbl 0.9j which I quickly replaced with my 1.1f XY Home Sw. firmware, and it runs great. I had to lower the acceleration due to lead screws vs GT2 belts but everything seems good. Next is install some home/limit switches and figure out Z-axis probing. I will be adding that feature to T2Laser soon.

Is there another forum where everyone hangs out and chats about them, specifically upgrades and such?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where's all the talk on these Chinese CNC machines...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »
Mine sits idle. Can't seem to find a use for it. Have friends with "real" CNC machines and it is easier to let them do all the work.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »
I have a real CNC too, 4' x 3' but it's overkill for small engraving, so I got the mini mill just to see what it can do. So far I'm impressed for the low price.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 12:52:11 PM »
I await your success posts with lots of easy to cut examples!!!

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
Well I jumped in on this and ordered the CNC 3018.  I'll probably use it mostly for balsa so it should work for me.  When I get it I am sure to have some questions.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
Mine sits idle. Please post something!!!!

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
I have been doing some research while waiting for delivery.  Seems like a bearing upgrade seems to help with the spindle mount.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chinese-machines/357034-solution-cnc-3018-spindle-mount-play.html

I think I will try everything stock to start with but I think the ER11 collet may be a necessary mod we'll see.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
There is not much talk on these anywhere I could find a year or so back, at least not in English. I suspect there is more in German. they are spurned by the 'real' machinists as toys mostly.
That's why I started the mini cnc thread here but it never really got much in the way of discussion.
I use mine at times for almost exclusively electronics work. Drilling pcbs etc, it needs a bit more work if I ever want to work on anything tougher than plastic or wood. I actually ended up setting up a touch screen pc in the shed to play with mine out there as they are pretty messy but still have it set up in the lounge atm and keep a vacuum cleaner handy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »
On that https://www.cnczone.com/forums/ they have a section on Chinese CNC machines. 

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
Thanks. Iím on that forum.

I havenít had much time to upgrade my little mill but have all the parts so hopefully in the next month or two. Homing and Z-probe will be first.

I already found the supplied power supply was weak, the spindle would randomly stop (or slow) when the axis were loaded. I replaced it and everything works great now.

I have the Cronos controller with remote pendant so can upload T2Laser files to the SD card and run remotely. Very easy to use but limited so running from T2Laser is still preferable, as homing and other features Iím working on are available.

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
Can you run these with T2?  that would be nice.  I had my computer die and have a new one and haven't reloaded it.  I have the hard drive from my old laptop that still works and is set up so I can pull files.  Would it be possible to run T2 directly from the old hd?  my new laptop has a solid state HD and is not real large so I am thinking of using external hd for some of my programs.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Yes, T2Laser can run 3-axis CNC systems including these mini mills. It has 2.5D and 3D capabilities.

T2Laser itself is a pretty small application, under 6MB and does require installation

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
Mine sits idle. Can't seem to find a use for it. Have friends with "real" CNC machines and it is easier to let them do all the work.

LOL! Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA