Author Topic: Motors Constantly Going  (Read 475 times)

thesword22

• View Profile
Motors Constantly Going
« on: December 04, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Hey guys,

So my wife wants to get into Laser engraving so i bought her one from Ebay. Got it built and tried to use benbox software with it.
My thoughts were these are exact replicaas of Elaks LAser engraver just no name.
Now when i switch it on the motors seem to be constantly one, and getting very hot but not actually moving up and down on the y or x axis.
Any thoughts please?

Also what is the best software to use with these sort of things.

TIA

thesword22

• View Profile
Re: Motors Constantly Going
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
So Bit of an update, I managed to flash the Arduino board and now the mnotors have all stopped - success
Using T2 LAser which i thought i would try out i can get it to connect but it wont move the x and y axis at all.
I manged to upload 1.1 firmaware to it as well

Any thoughts please

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Post a picture of the controller or the listing you purchased.

When you connect do you get the Grbl Ready message or only a Connected message?

Are you using 115200 baud rate?

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:30:42 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
I have attached the image of the controller.
The Listing i bought from is below as well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000mW-2W-Desktop-Laser-Engraver-DIY-Logo-Mark-Cutting-Printer-Engraving-Machine/162664166821?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I managed to flash the board with Xloader but im having trouble identifyfying what board it is (nano/Mega etc)

When i connect with T2 Laser it connects no issue but i dont get any movmement. - I only get the connected message no firnmware message. When i try and put the 1.1 firmware on it says suyccessful.
When i connnect using Laserweb it again connects and shows the firmware 1.1grbl but again no movement.

Using the 115200 baud rate yes

TIA
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:46:09 AM by thesword22 »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:25:18 AM »
Do you hear or feel anything from the motors?

If you turn on the weak laser button (just for a second as it can easily burn out the MOSFET) does the laser work?

You said T2Laser doesn't give you the Grbl Ready message, that tells me the laser isn't responding so either the driver or firmware isn't loaded correctly. Then you mention LaserWeb does show the firmware, which is really weird but I am not familiar with that program so perhaps it just says that even without getting a welcome string back from Grbl.

You successfully flashed it with XLoader, where did the hex come from that you used?

The listing says it's a 2 motor machine (LaserAxe clone) but the pictures show it has dual Y-motors which would be a more typical Eleks clone.

FYI: I just bought a Developower CNC 3018, great little machine.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:28:39 AM by Zax »

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply Zax really appreciate it.

When i turn the power on now i cant hear any motor noise or anything like that.
It has 2 y axis motors and 1 single x pretty standard i thought.
To me it does look like the elaks clone.

If i turn the laser on it works yes (starts to burn a hole so got some slate under it) and there are 2 buttons on the board i cant seem to adjust the power of the laser its either on a full power or not at all

The HEX i used is attached

Cheers
Edit - The machine appears to have no reference to Developower at all except in the listing lol

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »
The button near the DC input is the power, that obviously needs to be on and the other is the "weak" power switch which is best left off except for testing (as it acts more like a self-destruct).

I think the problem is just the firmware, in T2Laser can you upload the 1.1e DEFAULT from the Machine menu or does it fail?

It may be that you've loaded an incompatible firmware (LaserAxe) and the Nano is "bricked".

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
When i upload the 1.1e default from the it goes to flash verified then nothing
It shows connected but no version of firmware

where can i tell what firmware it is running, and if it is bricked how do i fix that. Would it be a completely new board?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Try connecting with a terminal emulator such as teraterm.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »
It looks like you have uploaded the firmware without errors, so the Nano isn't bricked. If it were, they are only a couple of bucks to replace - you wouldn't need a new board just the Nano.

So anyway, if you enable debug mode it's the same as using a terminal emulator. You will see the welcome string from Grbl (or whatever you receive when connecting).

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 01:28:39 AM »
Hi Zax

When i connect via the T2Laser and put into debug mode it prints out the below;
When i try and connect via serial to the device it just gives access denied.
Thats using Teraterm and Putty.

Thanks again for continued support. T2Laser looks much more user freindly and great software and i will be buying it when i get my laser working :)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:17 AM »
If you are using Grbl 0.9 or higher you have the wrong baud rate, change it to 115200.

I'm not sure why you are getting $C, perhaps you enabled Check Mode in the Settings menu, disable that or the laser won't do anything.

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
Ok some progress -

I just tried it with 115200 baud rate and i now get the Message that grbl 1.1 is ready as shown  in the attachment.
However the motors do not even look to be engaginng and i cant feel or hear anything from them.
Could it be drivers that are issue or could i have some broken stepper motors now

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
That's progress at least, OK so just to confirm you have power to the controller board - correct? (if the laser can fire from the manual controls in T2Laser then the answer is yes)

You did disable Check Mode, correct?

If the laser works and you've disabled Check Mode then yes it's possible the drivers are damaged. The motors are most likely fine, it's very hard to damage those.

thesword22

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »
I have power to the board as i can fire the laser (in full power mode) using the button on the board but nothing else works.
cant fire the laser manually using the software.
Check mode disabled?
right so i have now updated the driver as attached,
When i try and turn on the laser nothing happens, and when i try and do a manual move nothing happens either.

Not sure what to do next - nay suggestions

REgards