Author Topic: ESP32  (Read 153 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
ESP32
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:50:26 AM »
There is an active project to support grbl on ESP32. It is hosted on github which I have been monitoring for about 3 months. Sounds like it is pretty stable. Ready to give it a try. Does require a new controller board and there are at least 10 flavors of ESP32 boards out there with little documentation and zero consistency in pin mappings (I have 4). 
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
Re: ESP32
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:50:40 AM »
Have you had a go yet ?
Definitely a good way to go, dual core, 10 times the power or more, cheaper and adds wifi and bluetooth, OTA reprogramming (eventually, looks like an issue currently) how can you go wrong.

For anyone else interested https://github.com/bdring/Grbl_Esp32

I have a ramps kit on my CNC plasma cutter I might try this on, maybe, its already up and running using an SD card and graphics LCD so might be worth getting different hardware. It should be just a matter of making a breakout board that gives an ESP32 module an arduino nano pinout, from the looks of the board he has made there are no special tricks for interfacing needed.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ESP32
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
No forward progress on my end. It seems I have 4 different ESP32 modules. All with different I/O pin names and or mapping and I just can't seem to get started. That is the github project that I am following. About 20 updates per week. The core seems stable as most of the effort is in add on peripherals or user specific protocols.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.