Author Topic: I fried my 600mW Diode... can I replace the diode only?  (Read 149 times)

ManDownUnder

• View Profile
I fried my 600mW Diode... can I replace the diode only?
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi all - complete newbie here 1st post in fact...!)

So I got the cheap and cheerful 405nm laser off EBay, used it, had fun - got it woking on a large image. Over time (appro 4 or  mins?) it got less and less effectivtive at burning to the point it now won't mark the pine at all.

I suspct I burned it out, overheated it, exceded it's duty cycle or however that is put in these circles.

My question is this - do I have to replace the whole unit (Ali holder, mounted fan etc) or can I simply refit the exiting housing with a new diode of the same spec/wattage? (such as this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/808nm-500mW-Laser-Diode-TO18-5-6mm/141031755129?hash=item20d625cd79:g:8KQAAOSwEzJbEdKX:rk:5:pf:0)

I tried to remove the fried one but it is in the housing very tighly.

Any clues on if/how this can be done?
Thanks!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: I fried my 600mW Diode... can I replace the diode only?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »
They are difficult to remove, you may have to drill it out and/or use heat on the housing.

I am not sure it's worth it, but here's the basic process. When replacing the diode you'll need a current limiting power supply so you can slowly power the diode without damaging it. I usually monitor the output with a power meter, as soon as it plateaus you have reached max power, back off slightly using the internal current limit circuit and it's all set.

ManDownUnder

• View Profile
Re: I fried my 600mW Diode... can I replace the diode only?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
Very useful info. Thank you!