Author Topic: Help needed with upgrade to 650 x 500 laser engraver  (Read 615 times)

donwatson

• View Profile
Help needed with upgrade to 650 x 500 laser engraver
« on: December 19, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »
I have recently (a month ago) started to upgrade my laser engraver.
I ordered 12 black 'Delrin' wheels, a new Eleksmaker Mana 3.2 board and a new Eleksmaker 2.5mW laser module. All from BangGood.
The wheels arrived today (the board is scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday) and the module for Saturday ??) and I find the new wheels are twice the thickness of the white original ones, that means the existing spacers are the wrong size to fit my machine.
My first question is where can I purchase the correct spacers ??? I have had a look on the Eleksmaker site and can find no mention of them anywhere. I have been on the BangGood site and had to give up with them. Ideally would like to deal with Eleksmaker and am deeply sorry that I didn't contact them before I started on this upgrade.
I am a retired Toolmaker and can make the bushes/spacers on my lathe to the correct dimensions but as the weather is not too good here for working in the shed I would rather order them from somewhere reliable.
Any help will be appreciated.

take care
Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with upgrade to 650 x 500 laser engraver
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
Post some specs on the old & new wheels. Will the new wheels ride nicely in the v-groove?  Is the axle centered ok?

On my A5 machine the spacing on X-Carriage doesn't much matter so you can probably use it to test the fit.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
Hi George,
The old rounded white wheels are 5mm wide (bearing size), the new black wheels are 11mm wide and fitted with double bearings.
The original spacers on the X axis were 10mm and 12mm setting the wheels off centre.
This is getting harder to explain, but I don't know why they were set like that.
The Y axis is a single spacer 10mm long. I will need to reduce the length of this spacer to 7mm to set the wheel in the same place on the track, an easy enough job.
I will see if I can sketch up something but I will probably go and make up spacers to suit myself.

Don W
I have attached a pic that nay explain.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:30:25 PM by donwatson »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
Don,

I had a similar arrangement on my X-Carriage. When I updated the wheels the new wheels were approx 0.7mm larger that the old. The result was a much to tight fit. Our local hardware store carries both US and metric nylon spacers along with precision flat washers. I don't think the absolute spacing in critical. Just be the same on all 4 axles on each side.

There is a post about a 3D printable adjustable wheel fixture.

I tried and failed with eccentric nuts. Available from openbuilds. You need to get both sides the same. In the end I 3d printed the 2 X-carriage plates with the "calculated" spacing. Took 2 tries!!!

A machinist friend offered to turn 5mm round stock into eccentric axle rods with threaded 3mm on each end and a screw drive slot for adjusting. If I need to do it again that will be my first choice. I have since built 2 core-xy fixtures and the wheel problems disappeared.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:05:26 AM »
Thanks George,
I have the idea worked out and will see what I can make up.
The fact that the X axis has long and short spacers threw me as it meant the 2 acrylic plates had to be different offsets from  the aluminium extrusion, I don't know if this was to balance the weight of the stepper motor against the weight of the laser module ?? or am I over complicating things here ??

I did recall a post about a 3d printed adjustable wheel fixture with an adjusting screw in the middle that gave a very good result for setting the fit of the wheels. I will look further into this.

I will re-machine  the spacers on the Y axis as that is straightforward.
I will weigh the stepper motor and the laser module and see if there is any great difference that may twist the X frame backward/forward on the aluminium cross extrusion.

Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
HI,
The Mana board has arrived this afternoon. There are 7 connectors with wires attached and a bare end at the other end of these wires.
Is there a wiring sketch I can use to help with connecting this lot together. ?? Is there any soldering involved ???
It looks pretty scary to me so far.

Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
The laser module arrived today and has been tested with the power supply and the little board supplied to try it out. All worked well.
However that was just a prelude to the sh-t really hitting the fan.
I took the bushes/spacers out to the shed and machined the lengths to suit the new WIDE wheels (5mm wide is now 11mm wide).
All went well and I brought them in to rebuild the carriages that's when the stuff hit the fan.
The new wheels are also 3mm BIGGER IN DIAMETER.NO WAY WILL THESE FIT.
I am beyond caring now this is a total screw up. I will give it up for a while and try and calm down.

Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Did you find the adjustable wheel fixture on this site?

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:59:19 PM »
Thanks George,
I found those fixtures earlier this week and that would solve the problem on the X axis. I will just need to use the original wheels on the Y axes and get some 5mm washers to get the wheels back in line sideways.
There was some talk in the 'Shed' this week about buying a 3d Printer so I may be able to make the adjustable wheel fixture next year.

take care
Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
Perhaps you could drill two new holes for lower X carriage wheels.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
Thanks George,
I  will bore a couple of holes in the plate tomorrow, that should solve that problem.

I fitted the new Mana board today. I had to drill 4 holes in the bottom plate and fit the new board to it.
The only problem I have is where does the laser plug in ??
There seems to be 2 options on the board, one says S - + and the other says S + -  Does it matter which one is connected.??
I have attached some pics of the pieces. Hope you can advise.

I have the machine fitted together again with the original wheels and it seems to be ok.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 02:28:32 AM »
I have worked out from the little test board that I received for testing the laser module that the correct port on the new board is S - + and that the S goes to the PWM/TTL, the - goes to the GND and the + goes to the VCC on the module. Am I correct ? I really don't want to go out in a flash of blue light.

Don W

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »
Hi,
I have had the upgraded laser machine working in T2 and BCL.
My biggest worry now is the focus of the laser and I have a few questions I would like to ask before I go trawling the site.
Is there a distance the laser module needs to be from the piece being burnt ?? At present the front/bottom of the laser unit adjusting ring is about 75 mm from the base I am burning on. I can move the piece 40mm closer to the laser module and the focus does not look any different. ??
Any Help please

Don W
PS With the laser doing nothing I find it lit up like a Xmas tree and the laser fan running. Is this ok ??

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 02:37:38 AM »
Have now got the focus correct and am cutting/engraving in great style.
Will be back when I get round to the wheels upgrade.

Don W