Author Topic: T2Laser with Eleksmaker A3 Pro + Draw Module (SOLVED)  (Read 411 times)

IAmOrion

• View Profile
T2Laser with Eleksmaker A3 Pro + Draw Module (SOLVED)
« on: December 20, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
I have the Draw Module for the eleksmaker A3 pro (http://wiki.eleksmaker.com/doku.php?id=draw_module)

How can I control or set to SERVO mode in T2Laser? Is this possible?

Firmware of my Mana SE is GRBL 1.1f

FYI: Everything works great using T2 with the machine when using the laser - I'm just curious if it's possible to also use it for the draw module.

(EleksCAM has "Servo Mode" which works for the A3 Pro, but since using GRBL 1.1f EleksCAM won't connect)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:05:47 AM by IAmOrion »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: T2Laser with Eleksmaker A3 Pro + Draw Module
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:25:46 AM »
You need to load the Eleks Mana firmware to use a servo, it's in the T2Laser custom firmware menu (then you configure it in the Configure Eleks Mana menu) to enable servo mode.

It should be possible to add servo support to Grbl 1.1 but you may have to lose something else as size becomes an issue, the Nano has only a few bytes available.

IAmOrion

• View Profile
Re: T2Laser with Eleksmaker A3 Pro + Draw Module
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:05:23 AM »
Hi Zax,

Thanks for the reply - I should've edited my post, despite searching first ("woods for the trees" probably) I didn't spot the solution, then just after I posted I saw someone else asking and saw that you said it needs the Mana 0.9i firmware.

I've used Arduinos for a few years so well aware of their space (or lack of in some cases) . Optiboot may help gain some critical kbs, although being new to GRBL I wouldn't know what to edit in the 1.1f source to make it work anyways, or what I could safely remove

Thanks for your help  :) apologise for being blind ha

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: T2Laser with Eleksmaker A3 Pro + Draw Module (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »
I use OptiBoot on all my firmware. The only way I was able to get Grbl 1.1 with CoreXY and servo support to fit was loading via the ISP but even then I had to remove other elements like homing and still got a warning so not sure it didn't have problems.

IAmOrion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 07:58:55 AM »
When you say you removed homing -- do you mean in regards to endstops or something? I mean the Eleksmaker doesn't really have proper homing, it just has a settable point of origin (aka "home") but not the same as home on a 3D printer that has endstops etc.

Is there much improvement in 1.1f over 0.9i ?

Need some kind or Arduino Switcher shield device where by you could have 2 mounted on a pcb but only 1 is "active", and some clever switch like mechanism that uses Arduino 1 or Arduino 2 ... I may be overthinking that a tad though  :o haha

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
All of my firmware includes homing, using switches as a real 0,0 is vital to using jigs and doing repeat jobs accurately. It's the first thing I recommend adding to these machines.

IAmOrion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
I probably don't use the machine enough - at least, not just yet, since it's still new to me and I'm just playing around with it mostly.  I am interested in it though - do you have a guide to follow or any links? I've seen comments on places like facebook and forums speaking briefly about it, but I've not yet found any actual guides.

Also, regarding the Arduino... is there any reason you didn't do away with boot loader completely? Using the Arduino ISP to program it?  I have a USB ASP Programmer so figure I could upload the sketch via the programmer and remove the boot loader completely.

(I've used Nano's and other Arduino based boards before without bootloaders, mainly because I needed instant on and wasn't bothered about a boot loader because it was kind of a once it's loaded up, it will fixed in place in a car install for something - or what ever the project was, but didn't need serial debugging, and didn't need a boot loader either.... But I'm just wondering if the Nano used with the Mana SE does need *a* boot loader regardless of what one?)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »
Of course you can do away with the bootloader. It is a convenience for those without a dedicated tool.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

IAmOrion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Ah ok - just thought I'd double check on the off chance there was some bizarre reason for needing to keep a boot loader.

I'll have to investigate the 1.1f firmware source and see if I can add the core x/y and servo mode stuff at least :)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
I built 1.1f with CoreXY and servo support, it still had errors without a boot loader but seemed to work (I didn't do extensive testing). Homing and variable power were removed.

Not having a boot loader doesn't really help me as I distribute the hex with T2Laser so 99% of people can click and load it, most would have no idea how to use it without a boot loader.

IAmOrion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 05:29:51 AM »
That's a fair point!

Erm, Where's the servo stuff etc in config.h? I can find where to uncomment corexy but can't find servo?

Would you mind sharing your config.h - just so I can run a diffchecker and see/learn for myself what you changed etc?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
I don't think the bootloader has anything to to with the hex file. The burn utility does the reset vector translation.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
It's been a while but if I remember correctly, servo support was a separate branch.

I don't know if this was the one I used but it's an example: https://github.com/cprezzi/grbl-servo

IAmOrion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
Ahh that explains why I couldn't find it! Thanks :)

ps @ Zax - how did you mount your homing switches? I actually have 4 or 5 end stops left over from parts left over from knackered printer (plus a few spares) - is there a 3D Printed mount you know of?

I've just found the wiring info here:https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Set-up-the-Homing-Cycle
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:45:02 PM by IAmOrion »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
CORE-XY requires a slightly more restrictive homing scheme. It first wants to trip the Y axis switch then the X-axis without changing the Y. That means the X switch must be on that exact line. I have my Y-switch at the lower right and the X-switch at the lower right. Took a few tries to get the direction parameters set correctly. After that I lost some time because grbl assigned what I thought was (0,0) to be (-X_MAX, -Y_MAX). It wants (0,0) to be the upper right corner.

Twice the carriage has hit the X-switch and broke the metal lever. I have a traditional X/Y with homing switches and that has never been a problem.

Looking forward to seeing someone with similar fixture.