Author Topic: T2 + EleksLaser "Unable to PRocess Status Message"  (Read 263 times)

monkfood

• View Profile
T2 + EleksLaser "Unable to PRocess Status Message"
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
In a non-deterministic way i get "Unable to Process Status Message" from the T2 software.
The laser just stops at the last command it got.
I already tried
- setting simple communication mode, but that did not solve the problem,
- i have no screensaver or sleep mode.
- i reflashed the 1.1e firmware

it can not be the gcode i use because it works sometimes and sometimes it does not....

quite frustrating.
any ideas? Or do you know what the origin of this messag is?

Thanks
Monkfood

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: T2 + EleksLaser "Unable to PRocess Status Message"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
Can you describe the steps taken to reproduce the problem?
Does straight g-code work properly?
Are you trying to move to a position outside the range specified in the grbl parameters?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:49:24 PM »
If you are using my default firmware and Grbl parameters this would indicate a communications issue, but if that were the case I would also expect intermittent "faults" and "errors" causing the engraving to stop. You can disable "fast status" in the settings / advanced menu which may resolve the issue.

I suspect it more likely your Grbl parameters are no longer my defaults, check the status message flag $10 which should be 1.

If you use other software you need to always send my defaults because I am aware that some programs change your Grbl parameters without asking.

monkfood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 02:36:31 AM »
Hi,
@Zax, sorry that you have to answer twice :) i was so desperately looking for help that i added the post to both forums.
i entered laser controll mode and selected the "UPLOAD FIRMWARE 1.1e DEFAULT"
which also seemed successfull since the engraving was much more smooth. In one tutorial it also stated to send the default parameters again, so I did that too.
I expect it is the default you dfined as working well.
Also the $10 is set to 1
$10=1 Status report, mask (1)
i already tried disabling fast status an hit the same problem

@ggallant571
The steps are very simple. I load the gcode that I know works, because sometimes is does work sometimes not.
I put the laser to an area where it should print, set the home and check the boundaries in preview mode. So there is no position outside the grbl range.

In the latest Test i have the same thing again.
I resent the parameter in T2 Laser, set it to simple streaming, disabled the fast status
The laser stops at 16% of a very short gcode. No error no nothing...

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »
It sounds like something is failing, probably the Nano but you could try a different USB cable.

monkfood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 05:06:58 AM »
I did, actually i tried 3 differnt cables, the one that came with the laser, and 2 others that are shielded.
What i will try is to run it with the original firmware and check if that also has errors.
If not i can say that the 1.1e has a problem with my nano

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
You can use a terminal emulator such as teraterm to issue g-code. Allows you to verify the communications path. Every valid g-code should respond it "ok". Backspace will generate "error".

If you want people to test you must provide instructions and/or source file.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »
T2Laser also has the option to enable Check Mode, this very quickly sends the G-code to the machine and tells you if there are any issues but you already know it's not the G-code as it randomly stops and sometimes runs the entire file.

I suspect the Nano memory is failing, a replacement is a couple of bucks so worth testing.

monkfood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
@ggallant571

sure, i did not think that this would help since it stops at different positions as Zax mentioned. still, here is the gcode.

monkfood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »
@zax regarding replacement of the nano. I noticed that my controller looks like this> https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-EleksMaker-Stepper-Controller-Engraver/dp/B06XPWVDXZ
not like a typical nano from the arduino shop. are you sure that i can simply replace it by this nano> https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-nano
and flash it with the firmware in t2?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
The nano clones typically come with a different serial to USB chip.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 11:25:53 PM »
All "Nano's" are interchangeable, the one in your Eleks board uses a Chinese (fake / reverse engineered) microcontroller instead of a genuine Atmel and a CH340 UART instead of the original FTDI232 but they work the same way and you can swap any other clone or genuine chipset.

I've used Geekcreit, HiLetGo and SainSmart Nano's as these all use genuine Atmel microcontrollers but substitute the FT232 UART for the CH340 which seems reliable.

The USB port (connector) is different between brands, mini/micro/sub etc so just use the correct cable.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
Power for the laser is provided by the power supply, power for the nano is from the usb, only 1 of the 2 front usb ports on my pc will work sufficiently well to power it, my unpowered hub no go. my powered hub is fine but only with 1 of my 3 extension cables.
Not saying it is the issue but none has m mentioned it, thought it was worth a comment.
Does 'Check mode' work OK? It sends the gcode but does not do any of the movements.
Debug mode is useful too. Get more responses displayed.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
I suspect your environment is typical. Somewhere in the vast abyss of my memory is a recollection that USB is only required to provide 100ma per port on initial connection and that there is a protocol to request up to 500ma once communications is established.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
I suspect your environment is typical. Somewhere in the vast abyss of my memory is a recollection that USB is only required to provide 100ma per port on initial connection and that there is a protocol to request up to 500ma once communications is established.
That was the original protocol that was written up when IBM were making PC's. Nowadays you can pull 500mA from a port without even using the usb protocol, ie, just stick some wires in the connector.. Any more than that and a half decent motherboard will shut you down but I have repaired cheap kiosk PC's that melted tracks at around 12A as there was nothing between the power to the usb and the motherboard 5v layer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)