Author Topic: engraving lines too wide  (Read 1160 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: engraving lines too wide
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 04:04:03 AM »
From the manual: Right click to enter the name and commands (use | to indicate line breaks)  ;)

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 06:24:57 AM »
I saw where you could name the button didn't realize you added the code there as well.
I guess I'm going to have to learn grblů...sigh.  I'm guessing I can use the jog function to get the code for moving and then use the pulse button to get code for turning on laser.  Anyway another learning curve to climb.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
It's actually G-code (in case you are searching), so to make a 20mm line along the X-axis you could use:

M03 S255 | G91 G00 X20 F500 | M05

Turn the laser on at full power (assuming my firmware parameters)
Move the X-axis 20mm relative from it's current position
Turn the laser off

pedwards2932

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Sorry I meant g-code.....I'd like to set the speed as well and have the laser park about 2mm below it's start point then you can do multiple lines after adjusting.  Didn't mean to hijack this thread but I had been using BCL to adjust the focus then using T2 for cutting.....T2 accepts Inkscape .dxf files without me having to futz with them.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
The speed is the F value (feed rate).

M03 S255 | G91 G01 X20 F500 | M05 | G91 G00 X-20 Y2

You don't actually need the 2nd G91 and could use G01 again and set a feed rate.

M03 S255 | G91 G01 X20 F500 | M05 | G01 X-20 Y2 F1500

I moved the Y-axis 2 mm positive so it will go backwards but if you prefer to move it forward you can use a negative value.

M03 S255 | G91 G01 X20 F500 | M05 | G01 X-20 Y-2 F1500

Troth530

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:26 PM »
Hi Zax,
I believe that G90, G91, F, S are all modal (set once and remains set until a new value or unset is give)- can you confirm.  I believe the main non-modal thing we may likely not use is dwell or P settings.
Thanks,
Tim

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 04:15:00 AM »
That's correct, at least it's supposed to be. Grbl follows this correctly but some other firmware doesn't and requires the full command.

That's why I said you didn't need the 2nd G91 but it also doesn't harm anything and if you later edit the code it may prevent errors.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 04:58:25 AM »
Hi Zax,
Another stupid question from me, 'are the G-Code commands the same in BCL and T2'. ??
If I save a sketch that I have as .nc will it be the same in both  programmes ?
I have been running through the BCL tutorials and finding them very good, but one point I have noted, when I connect my laser machine to the computer, switch on the power to computer and laser machine, the computer starts ok and it connects with the Arduino and fires up my 17" monitor.

If I select the BCL icon it starts BCL and I can 'CONNECT' to the laser machine, the page then shows 'Connected to COM 4 @ 115200 baud' and the next line says 'Grbl 1.1e ['$' for help]
If I hit the $ key and press enter nothing happens. is there somewhere I can get a list of the commands ??

If I select the T2 icon and select the 'Laser Controller' icon when that opens I get 'Connected COM4 115200' and the next line says 'Grbl 1.1e Ready'
Is there some way I can get the G-Code commands here ??

Don W

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 06:45:12 AM »
Don,

G-code is a "semi" standard protocol for controlling CNC equipment. There was a draft published about 20 years ago that is a more a compilation of existing manufacturer specific implementations. Most of the more common commands relative to speed, distance & units seem to have been adopted as golden. Many of the configuration specific commands and startup features are vendor specific. GRBL is a specific implementation geared towards small CNC tools geared towards what will fit in a Atmel AVR 328 CPU chip.

BCL, T2 and a half dozen other tools aim to be GRBL g-code compatible. Please note that I used the word "specific" multiple times.

GRBL is currently being ported to other CPU platforms (ARM & ESP32). Do not expect the configure options or new features to be backwards compatible.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
There are many versions of G-code and several "standards". I prefer the one published by NIST (RS274) which is used by EMC and others. Grbl supports a subset of this but follows the standard.

https://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=823374

In T2Laser you can enable debug mode to get an instant G-code window, these commands are executed immediately when you press the enter key. The G-code window allows you to load scripts (.nc files) which process by sending the code to the machine.

$ commands are not G-code, these are Grbl settings. You can enter these from the same debug box and also display them from the menu.

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 03:43:09 AM »
Thanks again chaps,
I will (someday) understand what is going on. :-\