Author Topic: Trying to find the right protective eyewear...  (Read 199 times)

concretesalad

• View Profile
Trying to find the right protective eyewear...
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
Hey all...

I have an AlphaAutomation 3000mW diy blue laser engraver kit. https://alphautomation.com/collections/laser-engraving-machine/products/3000mw-blue-cnc-laser-engraving-machine

I want to get a better set of eye protection, but I am not sure as to which to get.

I know that the laser is a blue 3000mW 450nm laser, but I am not sure about the OD aspect.

If someone could offer some advice as to what I should be looking for, that would be appreciated.

Thank you for looking!
JP

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the right protective eyewear...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
After my eyes got scratchy because of the included glasses, I did some research and found these:
https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Eagle_Pair__190-540nm_OD6_Slip_Over_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862524.aspx

I bought two pairs and am VERY pleased
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
There are red protective glasses available for a few dollars that work very well, the supplied glasses are downright dangerous, not even the correct colour and are around an OD5 at laser wavelength, the red ones are at least OD12 (10 million times safer) and compare well to an arc welding mask at OD14.
I still NEVER look at the laser at all at cutting or engraving powers unless using arc welder glass and even that would be insufficient for a highly reflective surface. They are not intended for the powers a high power beam can put out, not much is.
Also remove all pets from the room etc. Last time I had an optician check up I had him check my retinas and no new damage, lots of old stuff from my work with the defence industry decades ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:28:31 PM »
Can't edit post on tapatalk?
Ones like these

AU $2.25 |  Laser Safety Glasses  purple blue 190nm-1200nm Welding Laser IPL beauty instrument protection eyewear Eye protective glasses
 https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cVVRxngl

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:31:49 AM »
There is full info on the correct glasses to use on this forum...Try SEARCH.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Koskee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
+1 for Eagle Pair specks. Get a set of those. They're pretty much the best you'll get under $100 and they've outright SAVED my vision on one occasion already. I took a direct hit of a shiny surface reflection - the one and only time I've ever seen ANY blue through these lenses.. It was still quite bright and literally stunned me for a few seconds, but my eyes are just fine (I checked). I know if I was using the garbage green ones, I'd more than likely have a nice little bit of text permanently etched onto my vision.

The only slightly inconvenient thing about them is if you have any digital clocks with a blue 7-segment display, you won't be able to read them or see any other blue LEDs at all. (But that's a good thing, really) I still often make the mistake of thinking that the power has gone out on a regular basis lol.