Author Topic: Downloaded SVG file shows up oddly after converting to DXF  (Read 2856 times)

wveagle81

• View Profile
    • SpartanDragon Custom Laser Engraving
Downloaded SVG file shows up oddly after converting to DXF
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »

Hello all.

I downloaded the below file for a Spiral Bowl pattern as an SVG file.  When I brought it
into Inkscape and saved it as a DXF file, it seemed to work fine.  But when I loaded it
into T2, the lines showed up as yellow and the laser followed the lines but didn't actually
cut anything.

Inkscape didn't show any colors in the lines at all.

So I guess I have a couple of questions.

What do the various colors mean in DXF files?
How do I tell what the colors are/will be in the SVG files in Inkscape?
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W
- CorelDraw, Gimp, and Paint Shop Pro
- Obstacle Racer and Trail Runner

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Downloaded SVG file shows up oddly after converting to DXF
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:18:52 AM »
I loaded with QCAD and all the paths are yellow, so T2Laser is loading it correctly. I also loaded into Inkscape and it's also showing as yellow (stroke) so not sure why you didn't see that.

T2Laser can use the colors for various settings, the default has Yellow at 0% power so that is why it doesn't cut. You can also use the colors to set the cutting sequence, feed rates or other variables based on settings in the DXF menu.

These parameters are shown in the manual along with the color designations, default is black for 100% power (meaning the power level you set in the menu, so 255 using my defaults).

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
I loaded with QCAD and all the paths are yellow, so T2Laser is loading it correctly. I also loaded into Inkscape and it's also showing as yellow (stroke) so not sure why you didn't see that.

I'll look into QCAD.  I see it's a free program, so that's good.  When I looked at the file
in Inkscape yesterday the stroke appeared to be black.  I'll check again tonight.

T2Laser can use the colors for various settings, the default has Yellow at 0% power so that is why it doesn't cut. You can also use the colors to set the cutting sequence, feed rates or other variables based on settings in the DXF menu.

These parameters are shown in the manual along with the color designations, default is black for 100% power (meaning the power level you set in the menu, so 255 using my defaults).

Ok, thanks.  I guess I should RTFM  :-)

- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

wveagle81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:11:47 PM »

I still didn't see the color in Inkscape, so I combined the elements and set the stroke to
black, then saved the file as a DXF and now when I open it in T2 it shows up as black.
So at least that worked.  I didn't change the original SGV file, so I have that to look at
when I have more time.

Once I get the axis stuttering problem figure out, I'll try cutting the bowl again.

Thanks.
- Epilog 30W
- Mophorn 80W

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:40 AM »
I only checked the DXF and found it was yellow, so I just checked your SVG and think I see the problem.

It's yellow per the color wheel (hue) but has very low saturation so appears dark on screen, obviously Inkscape is exporting the color based on the hue and not the apparent color.

DXF colors are referenced so it has to assign the nearest choice based on RGB values. The original AutoCAD format only had 15 colors but that is now expanded to 255.