Author Topic: alphaautomation 3mW laser and T2laser software  (Read 354 times)

concretesalad

• View Profile
alphaautomation 3mW laser and T2laser software
« on: January 02, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
Hey all...

I received my DIY kit from AA with no documentation, but after msging them on Facebook, they sent a link with docs that were minimal at best, but I got the unit working. The benbox software was not in English and after fighting with it for a few days, I went with the T2laser software. So far, I love the software.

A couple of questions

1: The laser turns on right when I go into the control window. I know. This is a known issue, and I have a resistor to put into place, but I am not sure that the board I have is an Arduino, so I am not sure where to place the resistor. Their support is marginal at best. Any help is appreciated. (Pic Attached)

2: What is the best way to lock in a home position with this unit?

3: Assuming that there is an answer to #2, is there a way to burn in a grid onto the board I have the unit mounted on?

Thank you!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: alphaautomation 3mW laser and T2laser software
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Looks like an Arduino, smells like an Arduino, tastes like an Arduino. Guess you have an Arduino Nano.

The wooden platform many fixtures mount on is accurately referred to as a wasteboard. I often will apply a layer of brown painters tape and etch the outline in it. Once the corner is too scared I rotate the fixture 180 degrees. Then flip it over

Homing switches are a simple and inexpensive add-on. The GRBL firmware can be built to take advantage of them. Not terrible precise but a nice option.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:53:03 AM »
1) Put the 1k ohm resistor between the TTL and ground (looks like yellow and black on your board)
2) Add home switches (using my default firmware you can connect two N.O. switches in parallel between D9 and ground)
3) Use Sketch or import a DXF grid (very easy, if you need help just let me know)

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:03 AM »
Thank you for the input and help... Please forgive my ignorance, but... the N.O. Switches, (Iím not afraid, heh... just need clarity) can you give me a bit more detail as to what they are and do, or at least the full nomenclature, so I can research and install? Do you have a brand recommendation? Thank you again!

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:50:57 AM »
NO - Normally open
NC - Normally closed

With a NO switch connected to a properly configured controller the signal will be high until the switch is closed when it will be pulled low. Most of the limit/home switches have 3-terminals. I like the following type because they have an indicator LED, connector, and cable .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Endstop-Limit-Mechanical-End-Stop-Switch-W-Cable-for-CNC-3D-Printer-RAMPS/382633771962?epid=26018612754&hash=item5916c003ba:g:glIAAOSws~pb7yVN
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
Exactly the info I needed!

Thank you!

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Zax...

When you said...
2) Add home switches (using my default firmware you can connect two N.O. switches in parallel between D9 and ground)

Is this(See attached image) where you mean?

Thank you.

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »
1) Put the 1k ohm resistor between the TTL and ground (looks like yellow and black on your board)
3) Use Sketch or import a DXF grid (very easy, if you need help just let me know)

Hey Zax...

Just out of curiosity, would I be better off getting a different board for my engraver? Something like the Mana 2 se?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
Yes, you understood how to wire the switches correctly.

There may not be much benefit in a replacement board, actually the Nano clones used on the Eleks boards are typically worse as they use a Chinese copy of the Atmel microcontroller.

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:58:24 AM »
Hey all...

Ok... So I got the resistor in play last night and it worked! !t was nice to go into the "Control Laser" panel, and not play the "Fry your retina" lottery, lol!

As for the switched... I have them and they test out fine. My question is this... The drawing I have (attached) that the green and black should be connected, but if I do that, the switch is closed by default. Shouldn't I connect the red and green, so that the circuit is open by default?

Please advise, and thank you!

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Yes, you want to connect the N.O. and COMMON so the switch is normally open (no connection) until the lever is pressed.

Which pins depend on the microswitch you are using, they should either be marked with the letters or a diagram:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com//assets/parts/1/0/1/7/4/13119-02.jpg
https://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F2900479-01.jpg

donwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 12:11:43 PM »
Can I ask if the wiring shown here is replicated for the Y axis and uses the Y board.??

Don W
Sorry for butting in :-[

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
The home switch would be added in parallel if you are using single pin homing (my default firmware) or to D10 if you have them separated (XY Home Sw. firmware in the custom folder).

concretesalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
Hey all...

I have the switches installed, but when I try to upload the custom firmware for X/Y switches, I get a "Firmware upload error 1/1".

I have the driver installed, and I am currently on GRBL 1.1f.

Any ideas?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »
So you wired X to D9 and Y to D10, correct?

What Grbl 1.1f did you install?