Author Topic: Engraving a Mirror  (Read 926 times)

6Firewall6

• View Profile
Engraving a Mirror
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
I am planing on doing backlit engraved mirrors for my nieces for Christmas and since my new 2.5w module showed up I started testing to check the settings I would need based on what I have read on here. I ran the image at Speed:1500 Power:255 in T2 laser. I only did one pass and when  pulled the mirror out of my encloser i could see were it had engraved the back of the mirror but not in both layers. Do i need to go slower or do multiable passes?

2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving a Mirror
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
I have mirrors with 2 or 3 layers of backing material. Different settings for each. I use a 1.6W on a core-xy frame so my speed setting are not transferable but I think it equates to 700 mm/min at full power.

It is possible to apply just enough energy to remove the backing material and leave a clear glass finish. By burning hotter you can also fracture the surface to get an acid etch look. Play the game just right and you can get both. Great for etching images of crystals with multiple facets.

BTW - I save the mistakes for testing.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
Also hit it with some rubbing alcohol to clean it up. Sometimes it doesn't look cut through but it is actually just residue.

Now let's talk about your backlash (the wiggly lines on the edges).  Turn off bidirectional scanning and see if it goes away. If it does your x axis is too tight or too loose.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
It probably better to do 2 passes, preferably with a wipe between.

nottingham82 <-- what he said.

6Firewall6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
I ran the nested lines image that was in a different thread and had a wiggle in both normal and no bi directional mode. I have new belt holders that a friend printed for me i am going to put on and see if I can get the belt fixed and the then work on the wheels.
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 04:14:28 AM »
If you get the same result with bi-directional disabled then it's probably an issue with the wheels (carriage).

6Firewall6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »
I think I got the carriage set up right now but unfortunately when I went to test I got a power surge and now I have burnt traces on the control board and the motors wont work. I have a EleksMana SE on order but it has not shown up yet.
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll get it soon.

6Firewall6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
New board showed up today and I am still seeing the issue on bi directional but it looks good on single. I am going to do a test mirror on that setting to see how it turns out and if it looks good i will do the present ones. Then I can work more on getting the bi directional working right. I will do two passes at 850 ans see how it turns out.
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

6Firewall6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
Here is the first on i got done  will work on the next on Saturday when I have the time needed for the burn.
2.5w laser A3 size
Mana SE board

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 04:56:38 AM »
Ok so reading about all your adventures with mirrors i decided to give it a go today.  My first attempt with a glass mirror left horizontal lines even though i was using diagonal engraving.  I think it might have something to do with the manufacture of the mirror.  May be able to overcome it with slower speed meaning it burns a bit more.
But i then tried arch acrylic mirror and I'm very happy with the results.
2.5w laser full power speed 1500.
This is an advert from around 1950 for a motorcycle I own,  a Sunbeam S7.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.